Re: [DMCForum] RE: [DML] 50 Worst Cars-What Moron Wrote This?

On 9/9/07, timnagin <timnagin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  That it is a car.  There is no such thing as "maintenance free".  In
>  addition, they wouldn't have built a support network if they didn't see a
>  need for it.

Greg,

EVs are, essentially, maintenance free. Notice I added the word
"essentially" ...  Yes they do require some maintenance, but it's
nothing compared to an internal combustion engine (ICE).

An EV needs no filters. No air filters, no oil filters, no fuel
filters. It needs no oil. It needs no coolant. Electric steering racks
need no hydraulic fluid and regenerative braking systems, done right,
need no brake pads, no rotors, no master/slave cylinders and no brake
fluid. EVs need no spark plugs, no cap/rotor, no plug wires and no
radiators.

These items are a cash cow for the automotive industry because they
are routine maintenance items and have to be changed regularly.
Eliminating them is a huge deal for an awful lot of big money
stakeholders. Electric motors last, well, virtually forever, so you'll
never have to replace an engine again. Batteries are your biggest
maintenance issue on EVs and really, that's about it. All of the
common maintenance items just disappear when you get away from
internal combustion.

The core parts that make an EV go (not including the batteries) - your
motor, charge controllers, and other electrical components that aren't
on an ICE powered car - do not require maintenance. Period. They are
exceptionally solid, reliable solid state components designed to last
the life of the car and other than factory defects or damage caused by
poor design or unforeseen circumstances, they will never wear out and
you should never have to touch them.

-Ryan

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional