RE: [DMCForum] RE: [DML] 50 Worst Cars-What Moron Wrote This?

RE: [DMCForum] RE: [DML] 50 Worst Cars-What Moron Wrote This?

>You stated:
>
>The EV1 was hardly maintenance free.
>
>What is this statement based on?

That it is a car.  There is no such thing as "maintenance free".  In
addition, they wouldn't have built a support network if they didn't see a
need for it.

>Did you own an EV1? Did you know someone who did?
>Knowing a number of people who had these cars, and the fact that they
>had thousands of fewer parts, than an standard IC car, this does not
>jive with the facts.

Would my owning one or knowing someone who did make my statement any more
credible?  I am betting there are a few non-owners on the De Lorean lists
who know quite a bit about the car.  Do those not owning one make them
incorrect on facts?

>BTW Have you seen, "who killed the electric car."

No, but the premise is obvious. We don't discuss politics here anymore so I
can not comment on this.  Suffice it to say, the video I see on this link
has nothing to do with an electric car.

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

>Why did GM not only scrap BUT SHREDDED this cars? The only other
>cars that GM has ever shredded are the INDY pace cars.

I am more surprised they even let the public drive these cars.  The car was
released in 1996, way before you arch nemesis was in office, with the plan
to only lease them.  They were all to be returned to GM.  Do you know about
the little S-10 trucks that were also converted through GM similarly?  From
what I understand, they were only intended for government use and were also
supposed to be returned for destruction at GM.  They show up on eBay from
time to time.

Your statement about GM only shredding these cars and Indy cars could not be
further from the truth.  Since we live in an ever-growing litigious society
it makes much more financial sense to destroy the car than to risk being
sued.  They are being sued enough with regular production vehicles.  Dave
mentioned a few cars that were supposedly destroyed so I won't go any
further with this other than to mention the Buick GN prototype was also
destroyed.

Well, one quick story.  Pontiac raced the SD-455 cars when they were in
production.  One particular car, a station wagon I believe, they modified
extensively, even cutting hundreds of holes in the frame to make it lighter.
This was called "Swiss-cheesing".  After they campaigned this car for awhile
they repainted it and sent it to a dealer to be sold as new.  There is no
way in hell any of the automakers would even dream about doing this today.

>Any person interested in building an EV would drop willingly drop
>$10,000 on a used AC Propulsion system. There are NONE! These go for
>$25K new and there is no spare capacity.

I also doubt there are none.  They put these cars out with the intent of
servicing them, hence the service centers.  Being able to obtain this piece
may be a completely different matter.  However, when I was at the car museum
in Cleveland, I think it was, where De Lorean 500 is on display they have an
EV1.  I am sure you could buy it if you make them a generous enough offer.

>These cars were destroyed on purpose!

Of course they were, just like most other research vehicles.  It was done so
for liability issues.  It is much more fun and makes for better conversation
to believe there is some voice in the shadows that controls things like
this.  If you have proof then I will be willing to listen and change my
mind.  A few hundred people repeating this to the point they believe it does
not make it true.

Greg

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional