RE: [DML] Re: Remotes

Re remote operations of our D's. Six year ago I researched these and had
the "Auto Command" by Design Tech installed in my car. Of course prices
have changed and for the better now. They had many options from a Remote
start ONLY, to the full blown unit. Unlike modern cars, the D did not have
all of this stuff so I opted to go that route. It has almost too many
features to write down, but includes the remote start of course, plus remote
lock/unlock, full alarm system, Headlight operation, relays for remote
opening of hood and trunk and anything else you can think of. It has all
kinds of fail safe features, such as, if someone presses the brake it shuts
down the remotely started engine.....any doors, trunk etc opened also shuts
down the engine.

When I say I had it installed, that is not exactly right. I had it done by
a good friend who does installation of all kinds of audio, remote systems
etc and people bring him their fancy Mercedes and Rolls from 500 miles away
to do installations...He is GOOD. However he was a bit shy of taking on the
D until I convinced him I could show him where everything was and assist
with leg work. I am experienced with a lifetime in electronics, but my age
(81 ) precludes me bending much any more so I have to hire people to do
THAT. Ha. I got a huge wiring diagram which he put on his shop wall and I
went back many times to show him physically were components were located and
we researched things together. There were something like 17 connections
to be made as I recall.....I was around him a lot of the time and know he
did not goof off at all. HE was even excited about doing this to the D.
However unlike modern day charges I hear about.......even with me assisting
a LOT, his total bill including the unit was an even $500 ! I had no
argument about it as I saw what he did.....he had scopes and all the
electronic and test equipment and knew what things needed. He found a
pulse too short to operate the door solenoids properly so added a relay. I
KNOW why and what he did and have it all documented. His wiring from front
to back of the car was immaculate...no skimping or hurry up stuff and
everything heavy duty.

Three years ago I had him install just the remote start in our Lincoln
Continental...His charge was $250 turnkey.....I never even went by until he
was done......since that time I have seen ads where some are installing them
for less....but it makes me wonder how many of the "fail safe" features are
included. Mine just plain took time and was NOT a simple job like the ads
highly tout.

Both of mine have worked flawlessly and I have no complaint. I am trying to
talk my friend into installing the so called "door launchers", but he is
very busy. I wish someone from the D clan would drive up to my front door
sometime and tell me they are here to do that installation!! Ho Ho.

Just thought that might put some of the recent discussion into perspective
as to do-it-yourself versus pay someone to do it.

Murray