Re: Zillas Toughest Critic really gets it.........

Re: Zillas Toughest Critic really gets it.........

"Zilla's toughest critic really gets it"

Huh? Where did that come from? Thats the problem with this medium,
it's not very effective at communicating intent or true meaning.

Bob, I'm FAR from a critic (tough or otherwise) of your products.
It's clear they're well designed, accepted, supported, and fullfill a
need for the non-technical among us. Yes, I do see the "value" of
plug and play but harldy from an engineering stantpoint. As an
engineer you must know that plug and play, while effective and a
great marketing ploy, is a poor way to solve engineering problems.
While easy to install it's still a patch. A integrated and properly
documented solution is a far better way to go.

Your products clearly serve a purpose for what seems to be a large
percentage of the D community: non-technical folks who don't have the
skills and want the convienence plug and play offers. Time and money
are interchangable, after all. The Zilla products offer simplicity
and ease of use. Thats one problem with them, by design they
constrain those of us who either want more functionality or don't
wish to wait until someone brings a product to market. (For example
the door openers or programmable tranny governor on my car)

I understand you're in business to make a buck and won't accept
criticisim (real or imagined) of your products easily, but to state
they're the best solution for every owner shows more ego and less
engineering sense than I would have expected. However, your products
serve the masses well and I'll be the first to recommend them.

As for the schematic, I appauld your charitible efforts, plain and
simple. Since mine is little more than a copy of the factory one with
a color coding legend added, the errors are not your's. I was only
implying you had the oppurtunity to correct the most blatant factory
mistakes and choose not to. (It certainly is easier to read those
errors however ;-) Btw, as an EE you must know that *any* error in a
schematic can be significant.

Your troubleshooting guide? Again, I applaud you. But for those of us
more versed in the car it's oversimplified and not very
comprehensive. I'm surprised it took so much development time, it's
quite simple in scope. It also treats the symptoms, not the disease.
Engineer those problems away and the guide is not needed. (No Zilla
solutions for them? ;-) But again, a good item for the non-technical
among us.

I meant no disrepect to you or your products in earlier posts and I
still don't. They just aren't for everyone. The only one I own (a
Tankzilla) leaks like a sieve around the sender's top but thats a
mechanical problem, not your fault.

Btw, a question for you: I designed interlocking on my remote door
opening system to prevent operation above a specific vehicle speed.
Do you intend to take the same precautions or are you assuming the
doors will always be locked by the driver? Do you trust the RF
circuits that much? (I wouldn't, rolling code or not ;-)

> It's clear from the last paragraph of your post you really do
understand the value of the Plug and Play concept. I'm glad.<<<