Re: Remote Locks

You make very good points for doing things yourself while
acknowledging the benefits of the Zilla products. Adding my 2 cents
worth, when I see a car with wiring that the owner has modified I have
to wonder what is going on (some owners are not good at it!). All to
often there is NO documentation and if there is ANY it is incorrect,
inaccurate, or out of date due to additional modifacations. I like to
see "standard" updates and modifacations, it makes it easy to
understand what is going on and troubleshoot. I won't for a minute
tell you not to modify your car, it is just IMHO it could devalue your
car if someday you want to sell it. At the very least try to keep good
records as to what has been done for any future owners (or yourself if
you ever have to work on it) like what was done, how it was done, what
parts are added, where you got the parts, and when you did it. Like
any science experiment notekeeping is as important as the experiment
for repeatablity. Too many cars have had burglar alarms added with the
wiring hacked up and no documentation, the only course of action is to
try to dissect the alarm out and return the wiring to stock. This is
one of the great benefits of "plug and play" it is easy to remove and
replace if there is a problem! For any vender to offer upgrades the
simpler it can be installed the less the chances of someone installing
wrong and then blaming the vender for selling a defective device, it
happens more often than you know. Plug and play is beyond some people,
of course not any that are on THIS list. On the subject of plug and
play not too long ago an owner had a problem with hard start. After
all of the suggestions not helping he finally found the problem,
someone had PLUGGED a fan fail relay into the hot start relay plug. So
you can even screw up plug and play!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "checksix3 <jetjock11@xxxx>"