Is it necessary to balance Delorean wheels *on* the car?

Is it necessary to balance Delorean wheels *on* the car?

In all the DW articles I've seen involving removing the wheels, they
always say to mark which wheel stud is closest to the tire's valve stem
so that you can put the wheels back on in the same orientation that they
were removed. Also, at least one of the articles says that because of
the suspension used on the Delorean, the wheels must be balanced *on*
the car, rather than on a static or dynamic balancing machine. I've
never heard of this with any other car, and wouldn't even know where to
go to have it done. Does anyone know the reasoning behind these
practices? I'm at a loss as to how a wheel that was properly balanced
off of the car could introduce problems once it's mounted on the car.
Likewise, I don't see how you could remove a balanced wheel, rotate it
90 degrees, put it back on the car, and end up with an imbalance as a
result. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Scott Gardner