Re: Is it necessary to balance Delorean wheels *on* the car?

Re: Is it necessary to balance Delorean wheels *on* the car?

I've had mine balanced off the car with no particular difficulty.

The theory behind balancing them ON the car is that you will also
take out any imbalances in the brake rotors. In most modern cars,
quality brake rotors are balanced themselves so that wheel and rotor
balances are independent. I suppose the on-the-car threory holds
water if you believe the brake rotors to be unbalanced.

If you look at other car rotors they are typically balanced by
grinding away some material at the outer edge. Since the DeLorean
uses single-plate rotors this would be hard to do, so they do not
appear to be balanced. I don't recall seeing any balance weights on
the inside of the rotors either.

Just to complicate things, keep in mind that the mass of the brake
rotor relative to the tire is relatively concentrated near the
center, so the rotor would have to be significantly out of balance to
cause a problem.

So - what to do? I still balance mine off the car, but I know just as
many who'll argue the other way. Turns into a religious argument
(like motor oil additives, not to start another one. . . ).

Also - your are correct on another point, there are not many shops
that will do on-the-car balancing, you'd probably have to go to a
place that is used to dealing with exotics.

Dave Swingle

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Scott Gardner" <gardners14@xxxx>