I quit.

I have had enough accumulated frustration with the DML that I am formally
calling it quits, and I am not alone. I have been corresponding via e-mail,
phone, and in person with various former DML contributors. These others
have quit before me, and I have finally been dealt the last straw and am
quitting the DML myself. I will still be a lurker like the others (provided
I haven't been "categorically banned" from the DML like the moderators have
threatened before) and occasionally answer e-mails off list like the others.
If there is something really bland and basic that shouldn't be censored out,
I might ask a question on the list to save from asking the vendors who are
already taxed to their limits. However, it is very unpredictable what will
get censored and what won't.

The last discussion about oil changing that was dropped into the bit bucket
under the table was the last straw for another DML member and almost the
last straw for me. What happened is this former contributor posted his
opinion, got challenged by other DML members and then was NOT allowed to
defend his opinion due to the moderators. When my post on the subject
seemed to simply disappear, I took it in stride. For me the last straw was
a deleted .gif to the photos section along with the accumulated frustration
of having other well intentioned posts censored into oblivion with no
accountability from the perpetrator. There are other examples that I could
give of why other former contributors quit; however, I leave that up to
them. And it is safe to assume that they know better than to try.
Censorship in "moderation" is a good thing. But the moderators often nip
good conversation in the bud and never let other conversations get started.
For example, a thread that almost got going last year was about making a
real DeLorean stretch limo. The moderators stopped it. When I asked why,
they told me that it was an unrealistic thing to try. Now that someone is
actually in the process of making one, they are letting posts through on the
topic. Consequently, when I posted the message talking about the rumble
seat in a front engine DeLorean, I was wondering if it was going to make it
through. I felt that I really had to choose my words carefully -- and for
good reason.

I lurk on the DOC list and envy their casual camaraderie and banter that
would never be allowed on the DML. I have ignored other DeLorean related
mailing lists in the past because I have valued the DML in particular and
did not want to see other resources diminish or distract from a so-called
quality product that I have unsuccessfully tried to convince myself was the
DML every time one of my posts disappears.

If anyone cares to start or has already started an uncensored list or at
least one that allows all DeLorean related (and consequently most car
related) posts to make it through, preferably allowing cussing & fighting,
then let me know about it, and I will gladly join and contribute, though not
necessarily for the fighting. Even though I have a good vocabulary, I would
enjoy the use of some common 4 letter word expletives on occasion. The
moderators have let the word "shit" through a couple of times. Anyone
search the archives for shit?

Well, this post has gotten long enough and probably won't make it through
anyway. But I will say this: if it doesn't make it through unedited, then I
am NEVER posting to this list again -- even for simple shit. And then
expect to see this letter on the welcome page to my web site which I'm sure
will be very popular. Also expect to see a copy stuck on the side of my car
at the next major show. Or are you going to try to ban me from that too?
Let's see... this post isn't about the "car" or the "man" or... What were
the qualifications that the DML censors use? Don't tell me. I'm sure I can
find it in the archives.

DISCLAIMER: I am completely sober and haven't been smoking pot either. So
don't ask me in the morning if I really mean what I say. And if any of you
are relieved that freaks like me are off the list, then good for you. You
can continue to participate in this lobotomized Utopian mailing list knowing
that your kiddies can safely read the "G" rated content where nothing ever
goes amiss except maybe under the bonnet. You will find me elsewhere.

Walter Coe, Tampa, FL