A new DMC owner with a problem

Hello all,

This is my first post to the DML. I've been reading the posts for a
while now, but have never needed to post for lack of a car. All that
changed recently as I am the proud new owner of vin# 1217, a 1981 D
with black interior and auto transmission. It has the hood lines and
a fuel flap. It currently has ~11600 miles on it. Before I took
posession of the car, it had been sitting in a garage in Tacoma, WA
for somewhere around 16 years (!). I had it towed to FAME Automotive
and there it sat for three months longer getting lots of fun stuff
done to it. Some of these things included: new steering rack/pinion,
rebuilt radiator, all cooling system hoses & clamps replaced, new
front brake rotors, 4 new brake pads, master cylinder flush, full
tune up, all fluids flushed and replaced, injectors cleaned, fuel
accumulator replaced, new battery, new door seal, tons of door/window
work and many others.

Having said that, my reason for posting: The car seems to run great
pretty much all the time, and starts perfectly both cold and hot.
However, the car only runs like a dream when the gas tank is full or
near-full. After I drive enough to burn off about 4 gallons of fuel
(leaving 9 in the tank, I think), it stutters when accelerating and,
if the fuel level is low enough, will die. I have noted that this
problem is intensified when taking right turns. I can accelerate
very slowly and the problem goes away; it will only stutter once or
so and then ride normally. When the tank gets down near 1/2 full,
the engine will die at almost every opportunity when accelerating. I
have solved this problem so far by filling up often and keeping the
tank full. I was told by one mechanic that it sounds like the fuel
sending unit may be bad. Does this sound right? Does anyone have
any ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron King
Kirkland, WA