Re: [DML] A new DMC owner with a problem

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 floodle@xxxx wrote:
> near-full. After I drive enough to burn off about 4 gallons of fuel
> (leaving 9 in the tank, I think), it stutters when accelerating and,
> if the fuel level is low enough, will die. I have noted that this
> problem is intensified when taking right turns. I can accelerate

Your trouble is with the fuel pump, not the fuel level sender. The pump
is sucking air because something's not right with the baffle/stud/curvy
hose assembly. (Look at the fuel section in the parts book or go to one
of the D vendor web sites) My car had this same problem and the problem
was quite obvious after pulling the fuel pump out of the tank- none of the
above stuff was there! Apparently the stud that's hot-melted into the
bottom of the tank had come loose. The "fix" for that was to take out
everything that attaches to it and clamp a tiny filter directly to the
nipple on the end of the fuel pump. It worked great until you turned
right. It wound up costing me a fuel pump because the pump rotor broke
loose from the armature of the motor, I suspect due to cavitation.

Richard Schauer