Re: [DMCForum] the EV1...

On 9/11/07, Martin Gutkowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hang on..... do you plug your car in at night?

Nope.

> Yea, it's pretty much true though I don't know the engine size.

3 cylinder, 1.0 liter.

FYI, the last 70+ miles driven I've averaged almost 80mpg.

> A Toyota Pious blew past me on the interstate
> once. I tried to catch up just to see how fast he was going and I gave up
> at 90 MPH.

Hybrids aren't weak. Some jerk in a Passat was tailgating me the other
day and followed me onto a freeway on-ramp, so I floored it. Lost him
pretty quick. Next thing I know my phone is ringing - turns out the
"jerk" was a buddy just screwing with me. He says, "This is
embarrassing. I tried to keep up but you lost me. Even turned the A/C
off to get more power out of my engine. I can't believe your silly
little car outran me."

> My understanding is they are all more expensive to build than they can sell
> them for, with the possible exception of the Toyota Pious Then again their
> real world mileage isn't what they claimed.

No, they are not more expensive to build than they can sell them for.
There are a lot of hybrids available now. Toyota makes several of
their vehicles in hybrids now. Honda also has a couple of different
hybrids. Do you honestly think Honda is losing money on every Civic
they sell? Sorry, but no.

The EV-1 was an awful lot more expensive than they could sell it for.
EVs in general still are a lot more expensive than people will buy
them for due to the huge battery cost. Hybrids don't have "huge"
battery costs. The battery packs are tiny compared to a pure EV.

Honda could have continued to build the Insight at a profit had they
wanted to. It was never intended for mass production, though. More of
an example of what Honda is capable of doing than anything else.

-Ryan