RE: [DMCForum] Number of DMC Forums.

Ryan,

You state that everyone else who runs a forum or mailing list is "power
hungry", yet you want to consolidate everything under your control?  =)

Seriously, Ryan, you have stated multiple times that you don't like the
email-based community concept, and that you prefer a web interface.
That is perfectly fine; everyone has his/her preference. That's
important to remember.  You state, "Everyone would have to agree to shut
down and launch a single new system."   But why?

I personally never read the various forums.  (I actually RUN a huge
forum for 1955-1961 MoPars... I have over 1,700 users... 57,000 posts...
and I hardly ever read it.  MY preference is email.  I run BOTH a
mailing list and a forum because some people prefer one, and some prefer
the other.  That will likely never change.)

I must be really tired or something, because I actually agree with Marc
- but he's right - 'build it, and they will come'.  Saying that it can
be done is one thing; implementing it is another.  I have never heard
anyone else with the opinion that there must be only one forum/list, and
frankly, getting the support of "all forum owners and moderators" will
likely not happen any more than having a consolidation of all DMC web
sites under one domain name, or all local clubs under one national
organization.  But, by all means, you are welcome and encouraged to try.

People have their 'hangouts', preferences, clubs, forums, and mailing
lists, and they all like or dislike them for their own independent
reasons.  Insisting that everyone needs to come together because -you-
don't like having to go to multiple places, ignores the needs and wants
of everyone else.  You state, "Everyone would have to agree to shut down
and launch a single new system."

Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your forum.
Implement it FIRST, then ask for folks to make the move.  Trying to get
everyone to commit in advance to a unified forum that has not even been
built yet is never going to happen.

You stated that you weren't going to do it without everyone agreeing in
advance to the change, but what have you shown those folks?  Do you have
a site yet?  No, you said you didn't want to put the time into it if no
one would come.  Well, that's the same reason no one will agree to a
move in advance.  There are literally THOUSANDS of hours invested in the
current forums, mailing lists, web sites, etc.  No rational person would
ever consider throwing away all of the work that has gone into these
entities over the last 10 years simply because someone shows up and
says, "your stuff isn't any good, mine will be better, so give yours up
and you will see - but I won't even start mine until you give yours up.'
You have to be reasonable, you have to have some experience in dealing
with the technical, political, and personal, and you have to have a real
site, not just an idea.

Do your best, enlist the help of others, and go build the best D site
the world has ever seen, and it very well might become 'the one'.
However, you are going to have to invest an enormous amount of your own
time FIRST before asking for commitments from others, and there will
never be any guarantees.  That's what the rest of us have faced when
building our respective communities - you are going to have to do the
same if you ever expect to be taken seriously.

-Dave