[DMCForum] Re: Gas alternatives, then?

Dude, I wouldn't pour straight grease into a car. The gylcol (stuff
that makes soap) would clog it in no time. Ever seen what happens to
a cup of grease at room temperature?

You've got to render as much glycol out as possible, from the grease.
Either boil it to seperate everything, or chemically seperate it out
with lye (like your drain cleaner does to open the pipes). From
there, they do have this neat preseravtive/anti-coagulent to keep the
oil from geling. It's like $12 a bottle, and will treat 125 gallons
of biodiesel.

Biodiesel doesn't just come from corn. Agricultural waste is also a
great source. Pig faeces being the best, because it's so easy to
refine. But turkey feathers are also quite do-able. And in addition,
while the waste is in the digestors, we can harvest methane gas as a
fuel too. And rather than paying out large amounts of cash to dispose
of their waste, farmers can now SELL this waste to fuel producers,
and turn an even bigger profit. I've heard that China has been using
pig farms in remote locations to run methane-powered generators to
make electricity in remote communities.

-Robert

--- In DMCForum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Ryan Wright <ryanpwright@xxxx> wrote:
> Marc,
>
> I've actually looked into the greasel stuff myself. From my
> understanding there is no processing of the oil involved, except to
> strain it for large debris. You basically run pure, straight veggie
> oil. And they claim this works fine even on brand new VW TDIs.
>
> I wouldn't mind a new Jetta running on straight vegetable oil.
>
> My first thought is, "Why not switch the country over?" We can grow
> our own corn. I've heard, however, that our consumption would
require
> something on the order of several states full of nothing but corn.
Not
> sure how true this is, though.
>
> -Ryan
>

> On 8/15/05, Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxx> wrote:
> > You have done this before?  Can you discuss the
> > process of finding someone to give you the oil?
> > transporting it home?  then processing it for use as
> > fuel?
> >
> > Thanks
> >

> > --- Joe OBrien <joeyoseppijoe@xxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Well I for one am in the process in the next month
> > > or so to convert a
> > > nice Diesel Rabbit I bought off eBay.
> > ><SNIP>

> > Yahoo! Mail
> > Stay connected, organized, and protected. Take the tour:
> > http://tour.mail.yahoo.com/mailtour.html
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS