[DMCForum] Re: Electric powered DeLorean

[DMCForum] Re: Electric powered DeLorean

What's so bad about fossil fuels? They provide lubricants, plastics,
fertilizers, and of course fuel. Even if we were to abandon fossil
fuels entirely, there is still biofuels, manufactured from
agricultural waste.

Anaerobic bacteria used to digest waste can produce methane gas, and
can produce fertilizer from the efffluent waste.

http://tinyurl.com/6a4hq

We can also use pig waste, and other renderings from meat packing
plants to create diesel fuel.

http://tinyurl.com/ywuq4

Diesel technology has come a long way, and if it can be harvested from
animal waste, then we've got a viable economic solution. Especially
since VW has developed their Particle Filter for catching, and burning
soot before it's vented out from the exhaust. And biodiesel allows for
cleaner emissions, due to a much lower sulpher content.

Hydrogen is a nice concept, but I don't see where we're going to get
it from. If water is the answer, then it's not going to fly out here
in the arid states. And I can't really see taking it away from the
farmers who need it to grow the crops that we must feed on.

Switching America over to Biodiesel really only presents a huge shock
to the consumer, rather than the auto and energy industries. We can
keep our current car platforms, and would only need to switch
powerplants and emissions control systems. Plus, people LOVE their
SUVs, as much as Detroit does. And this way, they could keep them,
since diesel offers such better fuel economy. From your monster turbo
Excursion, down to your little VW golf. And this can be tuned even
better, with Common Rail Diesel fuel injection. We don't need to get
rid of the internal combustion engine. We need only to make gasoline a
luxury fuel. And if diesel became the main source of our fuel, then
the demand for gasoline would plummet, and become cheap enough that
our lower income brackets could have some time to make the switch to
join everyone else.

And if you think that diesel is slow, then take a look here:

http://www.bankspower.com/

It's not that I'm against hydrogen, or alternative fuel sources/cells
per se. But we need to switch over two of our biggest economies (USA &
California), and we need to not only have the most gentle shock, but
we also need to please the powers that be, and offer up a solution
that keeps their business profitable. No way that GM is suddenly gonna
drop all their car & truck lines for thar hydrogen skateboard thing.
And the oil companies will not just lay down and die when it comes to
the money that they've invested in their companies. Let alone the fact
that many independatly owned gas stations would go out of business.
It's just too much of a blow to the economy.

-Robert