Re: Nitrous Injection was Re: [DMCForum] looking for...

On Thursday, November 4, 2004, at 02:27  PM, Walter Coe wrote:

>> The Deloreans fuel system can handle the extra demand of fuel
> because of the electrical coldstart valve.
>
> This is a gray area at best.  The cold start valve is just too coarse
> of a thing to use this way.  It would most likely dump too much fuel
> in the wrong places.  It is not intended to enrich all the cylinders
> evenly.  It is only meant to be a quick & dirty method to cause an
> over-rich condition to get a cold engine started.

This would only be used at full throttle only.

> If you were to try this, I suggest putting it on a dyno while testing
> with an ignition computer to see if all of the cylinders burn evenly.

I would shoot the coldstart valve first just to test my theory at full
throttle before i would even attempt to run Nitrous.

> I think a wet system going into the fuel distributor would be wasteful
> because most of the fuel passing thru it returns to the tank.  What
> problems are there with returning nitrous rich fuel to the tank?
> Would it come out of solution and pressurize the tank?  Would too much
> of it re-circulate?  I dont see how a wet system can be compatible
> with mechanical fuel injection.

A wet system is just mixing fuel with nitrous before the throttle body
in the intake before the cylinders. It gets sucked into the cylinders
and has nothing to do with the injectors at all.

What i would do is have the nitrous shoot into the tube on the
coldstart valve, it couldnt possibly return to the tank. The fuel and
Nitrous should mix evenly in theory in the intake before it hits the
cylinders at full throttle.

> If you are going to use dry nitrous and need more fuel -- to do it
> right you would have to get different injectors and have some means of
> controlling them so that you are mostly running stoichiometric.  This
> would mean re-engineering the fuel distributor.  To do it right would
> probably require converting to electronic fuel injection.  And if you
> go that far, maybe you should consider using a different engine all
> together.

You can run a dry system directly into the Deloreans air box after the
air filter, you can do this on any car but only at a small shot of
nitrous with low HP gains and no fuel modifications.

> Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have never messed with
> nitrous oxide before (except for those whip cream dispensers and a
> bout at the dentist.)  Is it enough to add nitrous alone, or do you
> also need to add more fuel at the same time?  What does nitrous do to
> the oxygen sensor & the lambda system?  Would those still work?

Yes the lambda and O2 sensor would still work. I have never seen a kit
that says it would harm the O2 sensor or effect it in any way.

> Walt

Whip-its in the big balloons, LAUGH MY ASS OFF....

Mark V

click here