[DMCForum] Re: Nitrous Injection

> > Take my advice with a grain of salt because I have never messed with
> > nitrous oxide before (except for those whip cream dispensers and a
> > bout at the dentist.)  Is it enough to add nitrous alone, or do you
> > also need to add more fuel at the same time?  What does nitrous do to
> > the oxygen sensor & the lambda system?  Would those still work?

I started reading about this some time back. The reason Di-Nitrous
oxide, or N2O (not to be confused with pullutant NO2) works well when
squirted into the intake is that under heated conditions, N2O decomposes
producing Nitrogen and Oxygen. Now there's a downside to this, but which
is also an upside - bear with me, this will make sense - the heat
required to cause the N2O to decompose effectively robs the combustion
process of energy. The act of squirting the gas from a liquid state
under pressure in a bottle also has the effect of dramatically cooling
the intake - which we all know is a Good Thing (right, Bill?). The free
inert Nitrogen also remains in the cylinders, and these three factors
all go into a big pot marked "ways of preventing pre-ignition".  Given
the extra oxygen in the intake - N2O is 36% oxygen as opposed to air
which is 24% or so, and N2O is considerably denser than air, and it's
cold making it denser still.... with me so far?... the result is the
ability to burn a lot more fuel in such a way as to not increase the
chances of detonation. This generates a lot more power for as long as
your bottle lasts.

Clever, huh?

So now you know how bloody stupid the bit in Fast and Furious where a
load of N2O bottles explode. The stuff isn't even flammable!

Who cares if the lambda system is working or not - it's not going to
make a lot of difference - besides, he's only doing it under full
throttle which effectively disables the closed-loop of the lambda system
anyway. The oxygen sensor is just that - putting ore or less oxygen past
it just makes for a different reading - the only extra component in the
exhaust will be rather a lot of nitrogen - but there's rather a lot of
that in air anyway.

Martin

click here