Re: [DMCForum] The following is a true story about Donald Rumsfeld.

Re: [DMCForum] The following is a true story about Donald Rumsfeld.

This following is a true story about Donald Rumsfeld.

I used to work for Rumsfeld at G. D. Searle in Chicago from 1978 to
1981.   I was one of the corporate quality assurance auditors that would
go to various facilities in the US and around the world to make sure
they were producing safe and effective medicines.

A person on our staff was named Doug Caproon.  In late 1980, he was
auditing the G. D. Searle plant located in South Korea.   This plant
made injectable drugs and IV solutions to be used for kids and pregnant
women in South Korea.

While at the plant, Doug was reviewing the adverse reaction reports that
doctors are required to send to drug manufacturers when their drugs
cause adverse reactions.   In this case, the adverse reaction was DEATH.
He saw 20 cases of dead children as well as cases where the drugs were
given to pregnant mothers resulting in the deaths of both the mother and
her yet unborn child.

Doug reviewed the plant's sterilization methods and found out that they
were not adequately sterilizing the injectable drugs.  Some bacteria
were still alive in a significant percentage of the drugs.  It was no
surprise that these drugs were killing children and pregnant women.
Doug immediately shut down the facility until they corrected their
sterilization process.

The Korean plant manager called Donald Rumsfeld and complained that Doug
had shut down their operations.

Rumsfield called Doug Caproon and told him to immediately fly back to
Chicago and report to Rumsfield's office as soon as he landed. Without
any sleep, Doug flew back to Chicago and went immediately to see
Rumsfeld.  Rumsfeld asked him, "Why did you close the Korean plant?  We
are making $6,000,000 per year profit there. "

Doug relayed the story about the dead children and dead pregnant women.

Rumsfeld responded, "What do you care, they're only Gooks!"

Hearing this response, Doug walked out on Rumsfeld and went home.

Upon returning to work, Doug was placed into a meaningless job. His
higher ups hoped he would just quit.

The grape vine reported that John Robson, who worked for Rumsfeld, made
the joke, "With the pregnant women, we were getting two for one!"

The last time I  heard from Doug Caproon, about 10 years ago, he was
living in Miami Florida.  He wanted me to help him write a book about
all the unethical things Rumsfeld did while he was CEO of G. D. Searle.

This story parrallels the recent story of General Janis Karpinski, and
the Abu Gharib Prison, where she was torturing prisoners. She said that
during her training, they told her,

"What do you care about them, (the Iraqi prisoners),  they are only sand
niggers!"

Sound familiar?

This story has bothered me for decades

Get unlimited calls to