Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension - very long and boring ;)

Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension - very long and boring ;)

Mike

Thank you for your input. I will have to stay on my side though ;)
I have spent a lot of time and effort trying to understand how this setup
works. And I came to a similar conclusion on a few separate occasions. OK, I
might be wrong... but I believe that the current setup is just wrong. From
what I know the suspension should work nice and smooth with all the rubber
bushings replaced with rigid material. The only exception are sway bars,
torsion bars and reaction bars. They are designed to bend and twist. Every
other component should work fine. Just imagine what would happen if the
bushings were rigid in a DeLorean. The rear suspension would simply be
locked in one position with no movement possible.
The rear hub should not move in arcs! Right now as the suspension moves up
and down the hub moves in two arcs - front to back and twist left to right.
My design eliminates both arcs and makes the suspension work 'right'. It
will move smoothly from top to bottom even with bushings made of metal - for
testing of course. Before the car is put into service the bushing will be
replaced with urethane.
I understand why the TAB is supported on just one side and why it has that
huge bushing... but this is not a proper way to design a suspension. This is
why the TABs bend and break. There should be no twisting and bending forces
at the TAB and the bushing should only be there to soften vibration coming
from the wheels.
We'll see what comes out of my new setup. I'm pretty confident that it will
be far superior to the original setup. The whole feel and handling should
greatly improve. I guess the time will tell ;)

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com