Re: [DML] Re: Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension

Re: [DML] Re: Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension

David

I agree that no car has perfect suspension and that there are compromises to
be made. At the same time the difference between a regular street car and a
sports car is that the latter is driven closer to the limits (or at least it
can be safely done so). It seems that in case of the D the compromises went
too far. It is a sports car with a suspension that is far worst than any old
econo box. Believe me, I know as I am currently driving one :) My little
Fiat with just 1.1 liter engine has far superior suspension than the D.
Don't get me wrong, I love the D. I just believe that Lotus didn't do it
right. And because of their mistakes, cutting corners, compromises or
whatever the reasons, quite a few DeLoreans had serious accidents or were
close to having one (bent TABs). At the same time all had ride quality that
could be greatly improved. This is exactly what I want to do - I want my car
to drive as good as it looks or even better. I want to be sure that if I
feel like driving like a maniac I can safely do that (from a mechanical
point of view) and not worry about the TABs snapping or rear hub carriers
falling apart. I want to be able to get on a highway and see how fast the
car will go flat out without worrying that the wheels might come off ;)
In short, there is a lot of room for improvement.

A Heim joint would not work with the current setup for long. With the
twisting and bending forces at this joint a Heim joint will stiffen things
up... to a point that after a while something would have to give. It would
definitely be a very elegant design, but without changing the way the
trailing arm works it would not be wise to use it. It would be ok for
regular use, but at extremes (suspension at or close to the end of it's
travel) it would put tremendous strain on the TABs. Again, a very dangerous
situation. I will not use that kind of joint in my design.

Well, as you can clearly see my mind is set ;) Wish me luck and wait for the
pictures! It is a thing of beauty! (of course there are still ways to go
before I can get in the car and try it out for real)

Take care

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com