Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension - very long and boring ;)

Re: [DML] Lotus Esprit Rear Suspension - very long and boring ;)

Mike,

Look closely at the lower shock mount on both the front and rear. Both, the
lower control arm and the rear trailing arm travel in an arc. The difference
here is that the front arm moves perpendicular to the frame while the rear
moves in parallel.
In both cases the upper shock mount is part of the frame and is fixed. We
can omit that small busing that's there in this example.
Lets look at the front first. The bolt that supports the shock at the lower
mounting point is parallel with the axis on which the control arm rotates.
In this design the bolt holding the shock rotates inside the bushing as the
suspension travels from top to bottom - the bolt is fixed to the control arm
while the shock is fixed to the frame by the upper mount. This joint works
as it should. The arc created by the movement of the control arm simply
causes the shock mount to rotate. Great!
Now, lets look at the rear shock mount. The bolt that supports the shock
runs along the line of the vehicle and it is turned 90 degrees to the axis
on which the trailing arm rotates. Well, it's not exactly 90 degrees, but
close to it. So, as the rear suspension travels from the lowest to the
highest point of it's travel the shock bushing cannot rotate on that bolt.
Try to imagine what happens with that bolt... with the trailing arm at the
lowest point that supporting bolt is actually pointing down. When the
control arm moves to the highest point of travel the bolt will point up.
This causes bending of the rear shock and very quickly crushes and wears out
the lower shock bushing. Now, if this bolt was rotated 90 degrees to be
parallel with the TAB the shock would simply rotate on the bolt without
damage.
Yes, I agree that this setup works. But just because the car doesn't fall
apart and can be driven doesn't mean that this is in any way a good design.
Actually, in my opinion this design is terrible! What would happen if they
would weld the hubs directly to the frame? Would that work... well, yes.
Would it be a good design? No way. By saying that is doesn't work I didn't
mean that it doesn't work at all... because it does as we all know. It was
an exaggeration to make my point.

I sure hope that all this makes sense ;) It's sometimes hard to put all that
stuff into words. If what I'm saying does not make any sense, please go out
to the car, look at the rear shock lower mount and imagine what happens to
it as the trailing arm moves up and down drawing an arc at where the shock
is mounted.

When it comes to the trailing arm mount to the frame and the famous TABs I
have to disagree. The trailing arm should not twist on the mount as it moves
up and down. Twisting in this joint will cause instability and a feeling of
"floating" where it might be difficult to keep the car in a straight line on
uneven pavement. Same thing happens when it comes to the fore/aft movement.
Besides, the current design puts an awful amount of stress on those TABs.
The bolt should be supported from both ends with moving joint in the middle.
The engineers at Lotus should now that what they designed is not the way it
should be done! It is a critical joint with immense forces at work... To me
it seems that whoever designed and approved this joint has never taken any
classes in joint design, forces at play and most of all lacked common
engineering sense. I know, I'm harsh... but this is what I think when I look
at this joint. Especially in such an important joint as this one and with
the rear wheels being driven on top of that. Of course the joint cannot be
rigid or something will have to give eventually. That is why the bushing is
needed on the TAB. I am changing this unfortunate Lotus design to something
that will be a lot stronger, safer and lower maintenance.
BTW, it there any other car on the road beside the DeLorean that you have to
check the TABs? Have you ever seen a TAB from other cars that were severely
bent out of shape just with regular use? I have not. On my DeLorean the OEM
TABs were both bent so badly that I had a really tough time getting them
out. I replaced them with a much stronger bolts (it was not a Toby TAB, but
a similar bolt) and guess what.... both bolts were bent again after less
than 10.000 miles. That is a bad and dangerous design!

BTW, do those TABs hold up ok in case of the Esprit?

You will see what I have come up with as soon as it materializes. For now
it's just a pile of metal parts that will become the frame and suspension ;)

Take care,

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
dmctom@xxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com