[DML] DOT 5 fluid

My experience has been nothing but positive with DOT 5.

After problems with my first D's brakes in 1983 (after the OEM fluid
was in the car for two years), I switched to DOT 5.  Despite my car
sitting for 5 years, I've never had a problem with the brake
hydraulics, except for a leak in one slave cylinder.  When I rebuilt
the cylinder, the inside of it was corrosion-free, something I could
not say for my other D that had conventional fluid changed regularly
(if you consider every 3 years "regularly").

I first used DOT 5 in the surge brakes of a trailer I used to pull my
boat.  The brakes are frequently submerged when loading/unloading the
boat.  Prior to switching to DOT 5, I had yearly problems with
corrosion of the slaves & master cylinders despite replacing the fluid
every year at the end of the boating season.  After switching to DOT 5,
I had ZERO brake problems even though I only replaced the fluid twice
in 15 years.

I haven't noticed the soft pedal, but maybe that's because us short
guys tend to have strong leg muscles.  Well, maybe thats "used to have
. . ."

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional