[DML] Re: stiff clutch???

I was going to make a similar point  - water does get in the sytem,
and it certainly goes **somewhere**. Better to be absorbed into the
fluid where you can flush it out every year or two than to settle to
the bottom in "water bubbles".

Recall that the brake and clutch system on the D (like most other
Euro cars) has a simple breather hole in the filler cap. There is no
rubber gasket that collapes into the tank as the level goes down as
is common on American/Asian cars. So more water gets in than you may
be used to.

People with problems due to conventional brake fluid aren't changing
it often enough.

Dave S

-- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...>
wrote:

> There are a couple of reasons DOT 5 is not the best choice. First of
> all it is impossible to remove all of the air entrapped in the fluid
> so it is slightly compressable. On many systems it is no big deal
but
> on the Delorean clutch that little bit of lost travel can make a
> difference. That is why we have so much trouble with the plastic
brake
> line. That small amount of expansion makes a difference. The other
> main reason is that water will not mix with it. That may sound like
> good thing but here's the problem, when water won't mix it goes to
the
> bottom of wherever it is and won't come out when you bleed because
the
> bleeder is on the top like most calipers. That water bubble just
sits
> there and eventually corrodes that soft cast iron. Water is
> everywhere, especially in the air so you can't get away from it.
When
> it gets into a closed system it just collects and eventually
corrodes
> whatever metal it comes in cantact with. ---> > brakes.
> > David Teitelbaum
> > vin 10757
> >
> > [moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: