[DML] DOT 5/Brake Fluid Question.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Woody <BePositive2000@...> wrote:

> My experience has been nothing but positive with DOT 5.
<SNIP>

After reading Woody's post here, I've got one quick thing to add.

IF DOT 5 is introduced properly into the system, then no, you
shouldn't have any problems with it at all, and it should outperform
DOT 4 easily. HOWEVER, it does require more precautions than DOT 4
when adding it in.

1. You must first flush, and then vacate the ENTIRE system of DOT 4!
DOT 4 & 5 do not mix well.
Dot 5 apparently will float on top, and not mix with DOT 4. Plus if
there is any goop stuck inside of the system, silicone in the DOT 5
will bond with it, and create a REALLY BAD spongy pedal that can't be
flushed out, and can even clot up the system and cause it to fail.

2. Since DOT 5 Silicone aerates easily, it MUST first settle into the
system, and CANNOT be pressure-bled out!
If you shake DOT 5, it will get air bubbles trapped all over to the
point where it looks like soda pop. You can't use it at this point,
and MUST wait for all of the bubbles inside of it to float to the top,
and out. Otherwise, you'll have air in the system that you can't get
out except for flushing all the fresh fluid you just added in right
back out. This also means that that cannot use a Pressure Bleeder!

For the average DeLorean out there, DOT 4 is more that adequate. And
flushing out the fluid every 2 years is as ridiculously simple. In
fact, I'd say that it takes about as much time as an oil change for
one person to do by themselves. And it's far less messy. One big thing
to be aware of too is that this isn't just about the DeLorean. LOTS of
major manufacturers recommend flushing brake fluid at regular intervals.

You can switch over to DOT 5 no problem, but it just takes a little
more care to do so. And be aware that once you switch to silicone,
it's allot more involved process to switch back.

On a personal note, if I were going to stay in a humid, wet climate
with a daily driver I would likely switch over to DOT 5, yes. And if
braking power doesn't increase in the desert after the brake system is
entirely rebuilt, I may very well switch over DOT 5, or DOT 5.1
(non-silicone based, somewhat backwards compatible) anyways.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional