Re: [DML] Re: Stainless Frame Features - quality of welds

On Jun 28, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Tom Niemczewski wrote:

> I feel that this is a very important topic and in my opinion it
> should be
> discussed in public so everyone knows about possible problems. If
> like you
> say the problems were taken care of why do you feel it is
> inappropriate to
> talk about it on the DML?

To be honest, the only reason I suggested a private dialog with you
was that you seem to be the only person concerned about the frames
ability to function as they should.

> <snip>
> I'm glad to hear that the problem of poor welding was resolved to
> the point
> where experts actually praise the quality. Do you have any pictures of
> current frames? I would like to see a close up view of some welds.
> I would
> like to see a close up of the TAB area. This is where the most
> important
> joints are for rear suspension as well as the area where the frame
> splits
> into two around the engine. I have a picture of that area from
> Memphis and
> would like to be able to see the improvement. Please upload a
> picture to the
> groups photo section.

If I took the time to create a section on the PDC web site with close
up photos of some of the welds, would that help your comfort level
with the quality of the welds?  It's interesting that you would
mention the critical area where the frame splits apart around the
engine compartment.  On the original frame, the rear section is butt
welded to the center box section and the mounting bracket for the
trailing arm bolts bridges the two sections and provides added
strength.  On our frame, the center section and the rear sections
overlap.  Not only is the exterior (visible) seam welded, but the
interior (invisible) overlap is seam welded as well.  That's at least
twice as much holding the box section to the rear section of the
frame.  So for a failure to occur, over 50% of the welds in that
section alone would have to fail.  In several places on the frame,
the weld you see is not the only weld holding a particular joint.

> Also, would you happen to have anything stating that
> the critical welds were tested or checked for completeness and
> strength?
> X-ray, cut apart, load tested?

No destructive testing of the frame has been performed.  If you would
like to invest in a frame and have these tests performed, for the
good of the DeLorean community, I would be all for it.  Knowing
intimately how our frames are put together compared to the stock
frame, I see this as a non-issue.

> <snip>
> A part that supports the entire car and suspension
> components. The frame experiences great forces and it needs to be
> as strong
> as possible. A frame that has welds that are so uneven... with
> holes cannot
> be rated as perfectly safe product.

A couple of comments about this.  Related to supporting the car,
don't discount the role played by the fiberglass underbody.  It is
very strong.  If you think back to Proto 1, the frame is split with
only the underbody supporting the car.  Also, think about the fact
that when you lift the car at it's jacking points, the entire frame,
engine, trans, and the rest is being supported by the fiberglass.

> <snip>
> The frame might be fine for 20 years of normal driving
> but what if someone hits a large rock at highway speeds and the
> welds on the
> shock tower give way?

Over the last 130,000 miles, I have hit two large objects with my
car.  One of them seriously distorted the wheel and cracked the stock
front lower control arm.  NO FRAME DAMAGE.  The second was a semi
that had a wheel break up right in front of me.  These hits took out
my front screen, spoiler, radiator, and radiator brackets.  NO FRAME
DAMAGE.  I have purposely driven my car through Chicago construction
zones trying to exert as much force on the frame as possible.  NO
PROBLEMS.

> I wish that something like that never happens but you
> have to think about things like that when building and selling a
> frame.

Do you honestly believe that this is something that was not
considered early on with the conception of this product?  Do you also
honestly believe that I would ever want to put some ones safety in
jeopardy?  We didn't walk out to the shop one day and start slapping
pieces of Stainless Steel together and decide to put the creation
under a car.  This process took years of development and planning.

Take a good look at the stock frame, including the welds, under your
DeLorean.  The PDC Stainless Frame exceeds the stock frames ability
to support the DeLorean, pretty welds or not.

If anyone else is interested in a section on the web site with close
up views of the frame welds, please e-mail me privately.

--
Bryan Pearce
Pearce Design Components

DeLorean Part Fabrication