Re: [DML] Re: Stainless Frame Features - quality of welds - very long

Re: [DML] Re: Stainless Frame Features - quality of welds - very long

Hello Bryan

I feel that this is a very important topic and in my opinion it should be
discussed in public so everyone knows about possible problems. If like you
say the problems were taken care of why do you feel it is inappropriate to
talk about it on the DML? You should be glad that everyone gets to know how
much work went into those frames and that possible problems were addressed
and resolved.
the welds on appearance. I did not have a chance to x-ray those welds and I
did not have a chance to cut one to pieces. BUT, what is important is
clearly visible without penetration of the welds. On the frame you had on
display in Memphis it was clearly visible that the welds were not complete,
with holes and very uneven. Just by looking at it anyone who has welding
experience can tell that the joint was not complete and did not have full
strength connection between parts. I took some pictures of that frame and I
can upload them to the group.
I'm glad to hear that the problem of poor welding was resolved to the point
where experts actually praise the quality. Do you have any pictures of
current frames? I would like to see a close up view of some welds. I would
like to see a close up of the TAB area. This is where the most important
joints are for rear suspension as well as the area where the frame splits
into two around the engine. I have a picture of that area from Memphis and
would like to be able to see the improvement. Please upload a picture to the
groups photo section. Also, would you happen to have anything stating that
the critical welds were tested or checked for completeness and strength?
X-ray, cut apart, load tested?
I did not want to mention any names without a permission from that person,
but since you posted the name I can say that yes, that was the frame I saw.
It was a third frame I saw in person. First one is the one on your red car,
the second one was on display in Memphis and Walter's was third. All three
looked pretty much the same with very poor welds.
Bryan, the issue I am talking about is the quality of the welds.... It's
very nice of you that you offered a full refund for that frame but don't you
think that frames of that quality should NEVER reach a customer?
I have started this discussion because as you might remember I was
interested in getting one of your frames for my car. After seeing them in
person however, I've changed my mind... I still want a stainless steel frame
and I wanted to know what was done to improve your product. It was a great
idea on your part to build that frame and everyone should and probably will
eventually have a stainless frame on their car but you have to remember that
it is a FRAME. A part that supports the entire car and suspension
components. The frame experiences great forces and it needs to be as strong
as possible. A frame that has welds that are so uneven... with holes cannot
be rated as perfectly safe product. I'm glad that your frame is performing
so good on your car and that other cars are fine too, but at the same time
you have to remember that a component like that has to be build to withstand
extreme situations. The frame might be fine for 20 years of normal driving
but what if someone hits a large rock at highway speeds and the welds on the
shock tower give way? I wish that something like that never happens but you
have to think about things like that when building and selling a frame. I
see that a lot of work went into the planning phase (all those drawings and
measurements) but what about the execution? What happened there?
When I compared the welds on the control arms to the welds on the frame I
was talking about the quality and completeness of those welds. They are even
with both sides of the joint equally melted and fused together. The welds on
the frame are a different story with one side melted all the way through and
the other just barely heated or in some cases it seems like there is just
material added on top without actual joining of the steel. That creates a
weak joint. I can upload a picture with marked problem areas.
Bryan, please upload some pictures of the recent frames so anyone can see
the improvement. This will be a great advertisement for you BTW. But if,
just IF you still have a problem with the welding... why don't you simply
hire someone else to do it right? You should x-ray all the critical joints
on every frame to make sure they are safe. And they should be done by a
professional. It's not really that expensive....
All it takes for a disaster to strike is ONE bad joint that fails at some
point in time..... You have to do everything you can to make sure it doesn't
happen.

PS. I apologize for misspelling your name Bryan

Tom Niemczewski
vin 6149 (in Poland!)
Google earth: 52°25'17.30"N 21° 1'58.00"E
tomciodmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.deloreana.com