Re: [DML] Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

Martin Gutkowski wrote:

> In the meantime, we've developed our own Stage I & II which uses our
>
>free-flow de-catted exhaust, different igniton, different (no lambda)
>fuelling, better intake tract, higher compresison pistons, and high lift
>cams. Not actually all that expensive if you can do the work yourself.
>When you can spin the wheels on a dry road, you start to realise the
>potential of the D as a really fun car.
>
>Martin
>DMC Ltd
>www.delorean.co.uk

Hmm. Exactly how much is 'Not exactly all that expensive' and do you
ship overseas? :D
I 've rebuilt engines in the past, (and done porting/polishing work) so
I know i'm capable of doing the work properly.
While I'll admit to never calling DMCH and openly asking if they'll sell
me any of the components they use on their stage II engine. (high lift
cams, for example) I seem to remember reading on their old website that
they had to install such components and do the tuning themselves.
(meaning you had to pay them labor, wether you could do it or not.) That
isn't really something i care for, being on a budget and all.

I'm also curious as to wether or not you sell the items outside of the
complete package or not?  Reason I ask is because i'm not sure how far
i'd like to go. I know i'd certainly like to put in high lift cams while
i'm into my engine work, and will definatly do a free flow exhaust of
some type, wether it be DMC ltd's, DMCH's or one of my own design.
However I AM pretty sure I don't want an increase in compression. Doing
so on an engine of this type with no knock sensor would mean having to
buy premium as a mandatory to guard against detonation.  I  know I
allready cringe enough every time I fill up my '98 intrepid with
regular. :P I'm also not sure I want to get rid of the lambda system
either. If I go with a catted exhaust, it will ensure that the new cats
don't incenerate themselves from a too rich mixture. If I don't run cats
after my rebuild, well then, the system can also be 'adjusted' a bit, to
keep the mixture at a more power generating a/f ratio than
stoichiometric. So I think it'd be a good thing to keep either way.

At this point in time. I've come to realize any ideas I had concerning
turbos or engine swaps are pretty much just pipe dreams with my current
finances, and timeframe for getting my D back together (was shooting for
driving it to DCS.. but nolonger have much hopes of that unless I get
ALOT more free time than I have had lately)  Guess I'll save that for my
next D, if I can ever afford a second one.

--

Chris
VIN# 03209