Re: [DML] Swaps, Turbos, transmissions etc

Marc Levy wrote:

>Most of the gain (I think) from the DMCH setup comes
>from the free-flow exhaust.

That's selling it a bit short. The gains achieved require the exhaust
but come mostly from porting, polishing and high lift cams.

>BTW, I came to the same conclusion as you.  "it'd
>actually be cheaper to do an engine swap with a more
>easily turbo'd engine than it would be to build and
>turbo a PRV that could crank out much more than 210hp
>or so".  Martin has the luxury of going to junkyards
>and pulling bits from various high-performance PRV
>setups.

Cor, it's easy to say that, isn't it?! There are very few "high
performance PRV's" and those that exist are like hen's teeth and not
readily found in scrapyards! Even the old B28 engines are getting rare.
The modern (up to 97) 3 litre 12v lumps are quite common, but they're
only 167hp, but seriously torquey. The Citroen ones are something I
haven't investigated but by all accounts are identical but run higher
compression pocketed pistons.

The bugger is always the ECU. Renault used a non-standard 66/3 trigger
pattern and to make it doubly annoying, all the 3 litre cars in this
country are autos and the trigger comes off the flywheel meaning you
need the bellhousing and a manual flywheel to use the stock ECU. The
manual EFI cars are rare or have the trigger sensor in a diffrent place
to those on the turbo cars. The turbo engines and gearboxes are -very-
rare and are worth a lot, going for over $1000 typically. AND you still
can't just put it in a D for a lot of really annoying reasons (exhaust
pipework doesn't fit, turbo 1/2" too far forward etc).

I've come up with a "recipe" for a 3 litre turbo but it'll take time and
quite a bit of money to build it. Is it easier to just fit another
engine? It's swings and roundabouts. At least with a PRV, you know it'll
fit in the hole and bolt to the gearbox. Andy C is doing a 4 cylinder
Cosworth and is having a nightmare with the bellhousing and clutch
setup, not to mention the need for a dry sump setup and where on earth
to put the intercooler. At least the engine and ECU is all
self-contained though.

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/gallery/memberspages/acarvosso/acarvosso.html

In the meantime, we've developed our own Stage I & II which uses our
free-flow de-catted exhaust, different igniton, different (no lambda)
fuelling, better intake tract, higher compresison pistons, and high lift
cams. Not actually all that expensive if you can do the work yourself.
When you can spin the wheels on a dry road, you start to realise the
potential of the D as a really fun car.

Martin
DMC Ltd
www.delorean.co.uk