[DML] Re: Turbocharger availability

Hmmm......interesting. I've been running my "Island" setup at 7 1/2
pounds since I got it 12 years ago. That's what Eleanor and her
mechanic recommended as a maximum setting. You have to remember that
the car runs normally aspirated 99% of the time. The only time the
turbos kick in is when I'm passing or climbing a steep grade. I
would bet that of the 55k on my car the turbos have been on for less
than 1k and at 7 1/2 lbs less than 50 miles, and that estimate is
probably way to high.

Chris
6301

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@xxxx>
wrote:

> I think you are referring to Island Turbo. At the last
communication I
> had with Eleanor, who owns Island Turbo, at this time complete kits
> are not available. Many parts are still in stock but the castings
are
> not being produced right now. This kit is not recomended for
automatic
> transmissions either. You might be able to find a set-up that was
> removed from a car but parts will be missing and the turbos will
> probably have to be rebuilt. Installation is no small task. It
> involves drilling and tapping the block, exhaust system work (you
have
> to remove the entire old system) and removing and replacing the
> distributer. When you are all done you MUST limit the boost to 5
lbs
> or less. Any more than that and you WILL blow the ring lands off
the
> stock pistons. This means you will only see a gain of about 30 HP.
It
> does make a difference in the way the car moves but it is hard to
> justify the expense for the limited gains in performance. The other
> popular system on Deloreans is the BAE single turbo set-up. I do
not
> think any of that is available as a kit but you may be able to
build
> one up out of parts. The third turbo set-up was the Legend
Industries