RE: [DML] Re: Ignition system failure = faulty coil

RE: [DML] Re: Ignition system failure = faulty coil

Robert & Group,
I don't claim to be an expert on coils. But I did do a little homework in
talking with the MSD people about resistance for their applications and
ours. After talking to Rich about his Accel coil, I have learned that the
lower resistance in the MSD coil and controlled by their #6 box would most
likely prevent it from burning up so soon. But, Take their coil (
Blaster )and run a straight 12 to 14 volts to it and with a .7 ohm coil it
would tend not to last as long But would deliver the 45,000 volts for a
while. They were not designed for the Delorean but for more of a performance
or racing application and using their box. In that case a $30.00 coil would
be replaced as a throw away item and go on. But, In our application and
using a 1 ohm resistor in line with the .7 ohms gives it a total of 1.7 ohms
would be tolerable for the street for an extended period of time. It's rated
at 45,000 volts at 12 volts with a .7 ohm coil.
If you don't mind sacrificing a few volts.
The Pertronix coil has a 1.5 ohm built in coil resistance built in and
without ours is rated at 40,000 volts. If you add our on board resistor at 1
ohm then you have a 2.5 ohm coil with again a high voltage. This is why the
Bosch coil is rated 25,000 volts with the 1.8 ohm resistor.
So my point is, There my be some small misunderstanding for the application
and the way they were designed for the market and how long do you need the
45,000 volts before you throw it away and buy another.
John Hervey
http://www.specialtauto.com/delorean-parts/delorean-parts-kits.html