[DML] Re: High Voltage Coils (Pertronix)

[DML] Re: High Voltage Coils (Pertronix)

Beg to differ: performance coils are NOT disposable. Actually perform
better at 12+ volts than usual 10. Pertronix's points conversion
specifically designed for old fashioned non-resistance ignition line.
Performance coils work just fine at lower input voltage, just don't
produce as much HT.

MSD gets a lot of press, but I prefer Pertronix. Have NEVER had a
single problem with their coils or points conversion. They make both
40,000 and 45,000 volt models, both filled with oil or epoxy. My DeLo
and 3 Lincolns run the lower voltage, converted '69 runs the higher.
(Still have one Lincoln stock).

Internal resistance of coil doesn't protect anything. Is just a
measure of coil efficiency. Original Pertronix indeed 1.5 ohm, but
Flame Thrower II just .6. I'm burning the later at full 12-14 volts
(Lincon, not DeLo) no problem.

Think MSD advised you to buy their module to CY their A. Mention
"DeLorean" to most people and they don't want to hear any more. If MSD
made a distributor to fit PRV am sure they would have recommended it too.

Perhaps we could do informal poll:
- My DeLo has logged 6,000 miles on a Pertronix 40,000 volt coil tied
to original ignition module.
- How many miles have others logged?

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "John Hervey" <john@xxxx> wrote:
> Robert & Group,
> I don't claim to be an expert on coils. But I did do a little
homework in talking with the MSD people about resistance for their applications and ours.