Re: [DML] Torsion bar stuck to retainer

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Bastiaan Olij <mux@xxxx> wrote:
<snip>
> For some reason the plate holding my passenger
> door torsion bar is fixed solid to it. I'm thinking it may be glued
> to the torsion bar for some reason. No getting it loose whatsoever.
>
> Got it all fixed very nicely though, mechanic is a star when it
comes
> to that. But the plate is still as fixed as can be and I have no
> way to lower the tension on this torsion bar which is much to high:
> -(
>
> Greetz,
>
> Bas Olij

Hallo, Bas

When you say that the plate is stuck to the torsion bar, I'm unsure
what you mean. I'm assuming that you've taken the two bolts out that
hold the bracket plate to the car body, and that the tension on the
torsion bar is now released, and that for some unknown reason, the
plate can't slide off of the torsion bar like it should.

If I have understood you correctly, here you go:

First, try some oil. In U.S.A. we have WD40 which loosens stuck
parts sometimes if you let it sit for a while. I'm sure they have
something similar in Holland. Regardless of why the parts are stuck
together, this will help getting them apart with less damage.

If this were my car, and oil alone didn't work, I would remove the
torsion bar and plate (still stuck together) from the car all at
once, and press the torsion bar out of the plate removed from the
car. That way, one can put straighter force on the joint to avoid
shocking or bending the torsion bar. I try to remember that torsion
bars don't like bending or hammering or heating. These torsion bars
are very expensive, and easy to damage. I would keep track of the
orientation of the torsion bar before removing it, so I could put it
back the exact same way. After I got the torsion bar out of the
plate, I would inspect it and the bracket carefully. Why was it
stuck so bad? It's an important question. Are the splines damaged
or twisted? Is the end of the torsion bar cracked? Has it been
hammered? Is the bracket plate rusted or damaged? An overtensioned
torsion bar should be considered a weak part that might break later
under normal use. Luckily, this failure is more likely with the door
closed while driving. If it's damaged, I would think about finding a
replacement.

If you're unsure in any way how to adjust the tension in your torsion
bars, don't do it. It's dangerous. Never do it alone.

Bastiaan Olij <mux@xxxx> wrote:
> Your worse nightmare can then come true as the tool we were using
> gave out under the intense stress and suddenly I had a nice hole
> in my roof:-( (mental note, remove roof plate next time).

The stress is high, but not high enough to break good tools. You
might need a better tool.

A hole in my car roof is not my worst nightmare. It's just a car.
My worst nightmare working on the doors and the torsion bars is that
a door, which is very heavy and is made of steel, will fall on my or
my coworker's head, break my or his/her neck, and paralyse me or
him/her from the neck down for the rest of my or his life. It could
happen.

I'm glad your mechanic could fix the hole in your roof.

Good luck to you, and safety first.
Wees voorzichtig, A.U.B.

Rick Gendreau
11472