Re: [DML] Recommendation: Torsion bar adjustment

Re: [DML] Recommendation: Torsion bar adjustment

At Monday, 12 August 2002, you wrote:

Hi Bill,

I have to second your opinion here. My Delorean had been sitting
on my driveway since the start of the year because of financial reasons.
Last week I took her out for a drive from one end of the Netherlands
to the other (something in the order of 300 miles) and I've been
driving her the rest of the week to work and back.

She has never ran this good, she really gets grateful if you push
her to her limits ones in a while.

As for the torsionbars, I can definately underline how important
it is to do this in proper surroundings and with propper tools, but
even then it can go wrong. For some reason the plate holding my passenger
door torsion bar is fixed solid to it. I'm thinking it may be glued
to the torsion bar for some reason. No getting it loose whatsoever.
Your worse nightmare can then come true as the tool we were using
gave out under the intense stress and suddenly I had a nice hole
in my roof:-( (mental note, remove roof plate next time).

Got it all fixed very nicely though, mechanic is a star when it comes
to that. But the plate is still as fixed as can be and I have no
way to lower the tension on this torsion bar which is much to high:
-(

Greetz,

Bas Olij

>Am fresh back from day trip to get torsion bars adjusted (and a nap to
>compensate for 4 hours sleep -- hey Louie, can you spell "road trip").
>
>IMHO, this is not an optional procedure. Put it on your short list w/
>cooling system modifications etc. Door struts are wonderful, and they
>serve a purpose, but they are not a substitute for *proper* torsion
>bar adjustment.
>
>Key word here is "proper": this is not a procedure for the novice.
>Definitely is not to be performed solo. Risk of damage to car or self
>is great -- take the vehicle to a tech clinic or guru.
>
>FWIW: 10 hour freeway burn did wonders for my Volvoized PRV (as did
>adjusting back towards original throttle bypass settings -- some of us
>don't have the luxury of a Lambda unit and all the things it's
>apparently supposed to control). Don't hide your D or let it sit idle
>in a garage or barn (or drive it as if it were made of porcelain).
>Lot's of opinions about lots of aspects of the car, but I think
>everyone can agree that it needs lots of room to run.
>
>Bill Robertson

>moderator@xxxx
>
>To search the archives or view files, log in at http://groups.yahoo.
com/group/dmcnews