Re: [DML] Torsion bar stuck to retainer

Rick wrote:

> Bastiaan wrote:
[snip]
> > For some reason the plate holding my passenger
> > door torsion bar is fixed solid to it.
[snip]
> > But the plate is still as fixed as can be and I have
> > no way to lower the tension on this torsion bar
[snip]
> When you say that the plate is stuck to the torsion bar,
> I'm unsure what you mean. I'm assuming that you've
> taken the two bolts out that hold the bracket plate to the
> car body, and that the tension on the torsion bar is now
> released, and that for some unknown reason, the
> plate can't slide off of the torsion bar like it should.

I'm not sure, since my Torrsionbars are OK so I won't mess with
them, but isn't it impossible to release the tension with the plate
still on? I thought it would slam into the bodywork or (even
worse) crack the rear window...

> First, try some oil. In U.S.A. we have WD40 which
> loosens stuck parts sometimes if you let it sit for a while.

WD40 is sold in The Netherlands too, along with other stuff,
known by most people as "Liquid Wrench", which we call
"kruipoplie"...

> If this were my car, and oil alone didn't work, I would
> remove the torsion bar and plate (still stuck together)
> from the car all at once,

Don't you have to take off all tension before you can remove
these? I still think the plat has to come off first...

> > Your worse nightmare can then come true as the tool
> > we were using gave out under the intense stress and
> > suddenly I had a nice hole in my roof:-(
> > (mental note, remove roof plate next time).

Bas,

Which roof got damaged anyway? That of th car? Or the roof in
the place you were working in? I don't undertstand how you could
get a hole in your cars' roof when working back there...

> Wees voorzichtig, A.U.B.

:-) That was Dutch! So is this:
Je kunt nooit voorzichtig genoeg zijn...

Good luck,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000