Re: [DML] Halon-Blah Blah Blah

The topic I started about the built-in Halon fire extinguishers has made me
aware of some interesting points both about Halon and about people jumping
to conclusions.

The most informative and CORRECT e-mails were sent to me off-list. The
reason? These people have had their feelings hurt for giving their opinions
and advice on the DML before and don't want to be torn up anymore. Toby
picked up on this really well concerning Jim's question about rebuilding the
master cylinder. The first post that I did concerning vacuum bleeding the
brakes wasn't allowed through by the moderator because he felt that I gave
bad advice telling people that I dressed the bleed screws threads with
teflon. But had he realized that this is a readily available product in
automotive stores sold specifically for dressing brake bleed screws then
maybe he would have let it through. Then when I ask about installing a
built-in Halon system, my post gets an ill-informed disclaimer built into
it. I'm not complaining about the moderators in particular, but these
instances are the first to come to mind because I like freedom of speech --
which also implies freedom to give bad advice or ask stupid questions.
Whatever happens, we still end up taking the good with the bad. I would
rather weed through off-topic spam than have genuine good DeLorean talk get
censored out.

About Halon: I've learned that this stuff is very safe and effective. It
is used a lot in airplanes and even in the space shuttles. It does NOT
displace oxygen. Except for environmental regulations, there are no
problems with using it in an automobile -- even in a confined passenger
compartment. How did I learn this stuff? From e-mails off list that
directed me to various web sites. Now you say, "You saw it on the internet,
so it must be true." No, I don't mean this. I read a few articles written
by the EPA and some companies selling the stuff. Except for the
environmental regulations, it is a damn good idea to have Halon in your car.
I'm still looking into it but am turned off by the legalities. Halon is no
longer manufactured in the US, and the replacemnt for it will be phased out
in the future also for environmental reasons. Maybe by then they will have
a a better substitue for it, but I'm not anxious to install a system in my
car and not be able to keep it charged. I've had small Halon extinguishers
before and had to throw them all away because they leaked and I couldn't get
them refilled! The Halon they contained was identical to R-12, and this
stuff is difficult to keep bottled up. I've had a few cans of R-12 go empty
on their own, too. The next time I find myself at a marine supply house,
I'm going to see what Halon systems they have for sale. I don't believe
that CFC's really do anything to the ozone layer anyway. Coincidently all
this regulation crap came about at the same time that the patent on Freon
expired.

As far as over-moderation goes, it was really interesting to meet some of
the moderators in Memphis. They all treated me with kid-gloves. But it's
no wonder. Y'all don't get to see my messages that they don't let through.
Once I had a few beers too many and started a post calling them all a bunch
of "twisted bastards". The results were really interesting. Some of them
showed genuine concern for my feelings while others just categorically
threatened to ban me from the list. Well, none of us are perfect. But it
really disturbs me when otherwise well written on-topic posts seem to just
disappear with no explaination. Will they ever make me a moderator? Not a
chance! :-)

My next post is going to be a re-run of a very on topic humorous post that
presumeably never made it past the moderators. If you enjoy reading my
"column" and don't see this one posted, then e-mail me off list and I'll
forward it directly to you. It's a true story and a laugh riot.

Walt Tampa, FL