Re: [DML] Halon-Blah Blah Blah

***** Moderator's Note *****
A key concept to keep in mind, this list is not a free speech
platform. If it was, it wouldn't be moderated :-)

The primary content guideline for the list is that each
post should contain information about DeLorean - the car,
the company, or the man. Posts that don't meet this criteria
don't make it through, particularly ones that are starting
a new thread. There are additional rules (that should be
hitting your e-mail readers soon) that determine the posts
that will make it through.

Todd makes a good point. It is easy to dash off a post in the
heat of the moment that contains notions that you would never
say to someone face to face. Before hitting that send button,
take a moment to reread what you have written to see if it
meets that condition. It would sure make my job easier...

Mike G Moderator of the Week

> I like freedom of speech -- which also implies freedom
> to give bad advice or ask stupid questions.

I certainly understand where you're coming from on this, Walt. Other list
members have mentioned that they have been "censored" only on the merits of
their ideas and not because their posts were inflammatory, offensive,
off-topic, etc. I have no first-hand experience, so I have no idea who's
right.

In defense of the moderators, though, I think it's worth mentioning that all
posts that make it to the list are both public and permanent. If someone
posts incorrect information, it becomes part of the public archive and can
be found later by someone searching for factual information. This isn't
just hypothetical -- think of the times it has happened before with part
numbers, like the Bosch number for the relays. The only thing to do is post
a follow-up message correcting the bad info and hope anyone who reads one
also reads the other. It's not as big of a deal for those of us in the
present who follow the discussions in real time, but it's not the ideal
method for getting good data to future D owners searching through the
archives one, two, or ten years from now.

> people have had their feelings hurt for giving their
> opinions and advice on the DML before and don't
> want to be torn up anymore

I can understand that, too...some threads over the past few months have
gotten pretty nasty. Is the solution to have the moderators block more of
the personal attacks? Or are they over-moderating as it is? Maybe the best
idea would be for folks to post as if they were speaking to the entire list
in person. E-mail tends to give some people the same anonymous bravado that
cars give to those with road rage. If the members of this list showed each
other the same level of courtesy we showed each other in person in Memphis,
I think the DML would be a much more inviting place to hang out.

And if you post something that another list member decides to publicly shred
you to pieces over, take comfort in the fact that he's making an ass out of
himself in front of nearly 1,200 people. :-)

Todd Masinelli
VIN 6681 (Nov 81)