vendors and other scammers

>>>Your comments are well thought out, worded and well accepted by
the DeLorean community who don't want to "mickey mouse" their car.<<<

Excuse me? As a former machine design and materials engineer for 20
years, EE and machinist now turned professional pilot operating the
B737-500 and Lear 35, an aircraft mechanic and owner of two high
performance aircraft (one a former military light attack jet), I can
assure you the words "mickey mouse" are not in my vocabulary. Every
modification I make, to everything I own, is based on that
experience. I suspect future owners of my car will appreciate my
efforts.

No offense to those folks, but don't lump me in with the backyard
mechanics and college students who often can't diagnose and repair
(let alone re-engineer) the simplest of problems. While I do value
the vendors and some of the talent that posts here, the care and
feeding of this vehicle isn't exactly rocket science.

Unusual car? Maybe, but in many cases not so unusual parts. For
example, the generic parts I mentioned are identical (if not
superior) to what the vendors offer. Unless they have manufacturing
facilities out back making, for example, silicone hose (they don't),
they get it from the same places you and I can and then mark it way
up. Nothing wrong with that, its a free market. You're the one who
must decide if you're going to pay it.

You need to remember its only a car, and not a very good one at that.
Poorly desigend and built, it desperately needs attention. That means
better materials and engineering, not patchwork fixes to shore up the
original poor design. I commend the vendors for doing some of this
work but as I pointed out to James, its not my responsibility to
finance or perpetrate this car's continued exsistence, nor the
companies who support it. My responsibility is first and foremost to
myself, especially with regard to my coin.

I'll deal with the vendors when its in *my* best interests, not
theirs. They are, after all, not in this for some noble cause but to
take our money, as much as we will give them. If they fail, others
will take their place. Whats DMC going to do anyway? Shut down and be
stuck with a warehouse full of parts? No, they'll learn they must at
least compete on the generics.

As for your $600 radiator mishap, I suggest you remember when it
comes to money it isn't what one makes, its what one keeps. I never
lose sight of this, otherwise I couldn't afford to own such frivolous
toys.

My experience with "type" clubs is that they exsist to help reduce
costs while maintaining an equivalent level of quality and safety.
In the business of aircraft onwership, this is crucial. I regret
taking that approach here and will refrain from offering any further
information in the future. If you're personaly not interested in
reducing costs, better engineering and materials, improved SS fuel
baffles, intelligent door locking and release systems, real
electrical improvements, electronic engine management and monitoring
as well as other engineering that can be applied, thats fine by me.

If you choose to retain the stock "attributes" of your car (with all
the hassles that entails) for purists reasons, thats certainly your
right and also OK by me. Just don't slam those of us who prefer
putting our hard earned cash into something other than a vendor's
pocket when, in many cases, we have the skills to do better for less.