Re: [DML] window regulator/ motor assy.

> Does anybody know how long it would take to put a new window
> regulator/motor assy in.

On your first one it is an all day job. A local mechanic that has done a
few told me that for him it is always an all day job. I watched DMC Joe
install one start to finish in less than an hour. He would have gone a lot
faster if he weren't explaining the procedure to a bunch of people watching.

I have installed 4 now and I can tell you that the heavy duty window
regulators are a terrible fit. They bind and flex. The brackets that they
come with do not line up properly. My installation method involves making
new brackets and changing the shape of the tube slightly. Now both windows
on my daily driver work flawlessly even WITHOUT the inner felt holding the
window in place. This involved modifications to both window tracks as well.
I've taken plenty of photos of my last installation and made two extra sets
of brackets so that I will be able to install new regulators without doing
all the measuring & fitting again. But if you wait for me to publish all
this on a web page, it might take a few months. :-)

While you are in the door, I highly recommend replacing the velcro strips
that protects the glass from the outer door skin. The adhesive on those
come loose with age and fall out. Then the glass gets scratched. Just go
to your local old lady sewing shop and buy a few feet of 1.5" wide velcro.
Either get the peel & stick stuff or (what I did) buy the sew-on variety and
glue it on with 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive. One strip protects the
outside surface of the glass, and the other (optional) you glue over the
inner window fuzz to protect the inside of the glass. You will have to buy
both halves of the velcro, but you only use the soft fuzzy side. It's kinda
funny that DeLoreans were built with velcro to pad the glass. It adds to
the kit car reputation.

Walt