Re: [DML] DeLorean vendors and other scammers (was paying less for quali

Re: [DML] DeLorean vendors and other scammers (was paying less for quality stuff)

I disagree with James and many others (as usual).

If a vendor can not afford to finance development, then the vendor should

I think that it is wrong and insulting to imply that vendors need to
overcharge on the smaller parts in order to afford to R&D new parts. If
you cannot afford R&D legitimately, and need to R&D to survive, then you
should not be in business.

Also, I seriously wonder what I'm paying for when I buy a newly developed
part. Are you saying that I am not paying for R&D of the part becuase
I've already paid for that when I bought some hose? I refuse to believe
that any vendors business would cease if we stop buying DMC oil filters.
Plus, if you can't be innovative and offer something better than the
competition, then don't, and we'll just buy the better part elsewhere.

I will say that vendors are very useful when you need to get the right
part fast. One phone call and two days of shipping, and the part's at
your door. If someone wants to go out and find a cheaper cross
reference, that's there prerogative... and if it works then hooray. If
not, then better luck next time. On the same subject, I will say that (i
think) it's rude to ask a vendor where you can buy one of his parts
elsewhere. If you can't do the legwork, then just pay the convenience
fee and buy the part from the vendor.

I know that DMC, grady, and specialtauto (and I'm sure others...) have
been innovative in making their own parts. I've only seen specialtauto
with a aftermarket fuse box, and that's why they're going to get my
business for a fuse box.

I'm also a little upset that James is claiming that their help line,
experience, and guidance is so amazing. I bought an $180 antenna from
DMC, and when it didn't fit correctly/fit differently, I called DMC to
ask what they knew about it. I just wanted to know if the parts were on
the antenna correctly. I got an "You can probably figure it out". I do
not consider great service when someone will not pull a part off off the
shelf for 5 minutes and look at it to help me-- especially for a part I
purchased from them!

I am not implying that their service (or anyone's), in general, is not
good... or even exemplary. Merely that James has if you claim that
raised prices are partially due to customer service with extensive
experience and guidance, there should definitely be experience and
guidance for these parts.

It sounds like James's post is a threat more than friendly words of
advice. "Buy from us or we won't do anything else for you." is not a
valuable business practice and I'm insulted by it.

Jim 1537

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.