Re: Engine Removal

Let me start by saying how much your thoughts are appreciated. In fact I would like some more comments because they help me work through the process. The main reason I am considering engine removal is to simplify access to the various bolts. Let?s face it, there have been numerous posts recently about bolts breaking. Also working over the sides and rear of the car to get to these bolts will make it more complex. I'm really not looking for extra work here (but really appreciate Dave Swingle's logic below) just want it right and realize my reach limitations.

Now the weird part. I know I have several jobs to do on the engine. While recently replacing my cooling system hoses, I noticed a couple of damaged areas on the frame. If I can see this... what can't I see. So now I am throwing separation of the frame and body on the pile too. I have read it is a simple task (4 hours if you know what you are doing) and this would not only allow me to inspect the frame but to replace some other items (i.e. bellows on the steering) AND give me excellent access to the engine and transmission.

So now I have 2 new questions:
1) Does anyone know of an existing documented process (text and/or pictures) to separate the frame and body (sorry, I didn't see the process described in the manuals)?
2) If I do this, does the AC system stay intact or do I need to have it evacuated before I start?

A final note/opinion:
The main reason I asked for your insight is because frankly the manuals confuse me and (based on some feedback I have received directly) leave some helpful information out. In addition, I feel they are not meant for an "untrained" (shade tree, intermediate, non-Delorean certified, etc... how ever you refer to a part time) mechanics since they tend to assume you know what some processes/item/terminology is or means.

As an example Page C:12:01 of the workshop manual - Water pump removal:
The first step is to "remove intake manifold". Well my manual says there is an Inlet Air Manifold on page C:13:01 But I guess my vehicle did not come with a "intake manifold" because I haven't seen it mentioned yet (could have overlooked something though).

As another example page H:06:01 (Replace Rack and Pinion Assembly) states to remove "pinch bolt" in step four. Can't find a pinch bolt in my parts manual though.

So I go to the people that love the car for my answers. And I can?t thank you enough.

Ed Garbade
edgarbade@xxxx
VIN 10541