Re: Engine Removal

Ed,
I have removed the engine/tranny from my D and put it back in. A few
tips:

1. Get a Delorean service manual AND parts manual. The parts manual
will show all the parts in an exploded view so that you can see how
it goes together/comes off.
2. Take LOTS of pictures...you will be surprised how handy pictures
are when you forgot where a piece goes or how it goes on.
3. Remove the Sunshade and the engine bay cover (obvious).
4. Remove the rear fascia....careful of all the wires that go
through there.
5. Remove the engine and tranny as one unit...do not separate them.
It will be easier this way.
6. Label all wires and hoses so you know where they go afterwards.
7. When using the Hoist, there is a special tool that goes in-
between the chains of the hoist and the engine block. It has a
handle attached to a lead screw that allows you to pitch the engine.
I forgot the name of it but it is very handy. you will need to
remove the engine on an angle and this will allow you to do it
safely and easily.
8. While the engine is out and you seperate the tranny/engine,
replace the rear main seal. It's sometimes known to leak from age so
while you have it all apart....wouldn't hurt to change it.

These are some basic tips. If you want more advice or pictures
(which I have) let me know.

Steve