Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

I got Marc's message about the magazine last Wednesday (the 7th) right
before I left town (returning yesterday). I held on posting my
reply (below) to the DML until my return so that anyone who desires to take
me up on my offer at the end of the message may do so.

James
---------------

Marc -

(SNIP)

> suggestions are welcomed, and we look forward to hearing from you." I
> don't see why Stephen would mind me sharing my comments in public (I am
> good at self embarrassment).

Yes, you are! Now it's my turn.

> In this premiere issue, I would estimate that more than 50% of the page
> space were advertisements for DMC Houston. The rest of the "articles"
> were more like info-mercials for DMC Houston..

Actually, out of the 20 pages, four and one-third pages were advertisements,
or about 20%. To contrast, a DeLorean World from the Spring of 2000 (one
that happened to be sitting around here at the office) was 10.5 out of 40
pages, or about 25%. Either way, I don't think it's unacceptable for a small
publication that at this time is still supported entirely by us.

> The "NEWS" section is about Ace Underhill. Many of us old-times
(SNIP)
> about Ace Underhill *SEEMS* more like a shill.

Ace *is* a good friend of mine, and I used to live in Costa Rica and work
with him there. He bought his DeLorean from us, and when we were creating
the first issue, he offered to help. We wanted to keep the idea of the
magazine under wraps until the open house, and the best way to do that was
to limit number of people who knew. I also thought the story behind the
first DeLorean in Costa Rica was interesting. The people there seem to think
it is cool. If you want to see some skullduggery, there are much easier
places to find it in the world than there.

> 90-second tech tip on how to replace the armrest cap?? Is there anyone
> out there that needs to read how to do this? More likely to just put
> the idea in our heads that we should consider replacing this warn part
> on our cars.. and OH! how convenient, the source for the part is listed
> right under the article. Can anyone guess where we should buy the part
> from? (and, mine just happens to be cracked.. I guess I better get on
> the phone to order one!)

Judging from the cars that we see come in at the shop, and we see at shows
and tech events, a lot of people need to know if not HOW to do this, that
the parts exist (all four varieties) and are available. Not everyone is as
knowledgeable as you, Marc. And even though yours is cracked, and even
though you may not have thought to order one before reading that little bit
of info, I won't be disappointed if you call one of the other vendors to
order it. :-)

> Then we have a one page-er on how terrible the Yahoo map service is.
> Apparently Anthony does not like that Yahoo-Maps does not keep track of
> road conditions and construction on the hundreds of thousands of miles
> of highway in the united states. While I can't fault the guy for taking
> the opportunity to stand on his soap box (hey, I am doing it now) I
> don't see what this all has to do with DeLoreans, how is this at all
> related? I do like his comment "...I'm paying absolutely nothing for
> this service, and I'm getting exactly what I pay for.", Maybe I would
> feel the same way about DeLoreans magazine if they were not trying to
> charge the DeLorean community for a glossy pamphlet of advertisements.

Wow! Apparently there is no room for levity in this publication. You're the
second person that has commented on Anthony's editorial...out of more than
3,000 distributed. In any case, I hadn't banked on that. Who said it had to
be related to DeLoreans to be in there? We sure didn't. Jeez.

> The center of the magazine contains the only true and relevant "article"
> in it. Ryan McCaffrey does a good job of telling the reader about his
> adventures in Belfast. Having been there with Ryan, I compliment him on
> his article and excellent writing style. I just wonder why we did not
> read about him purchasing a set of lowering springs while at the trade
> show in Belfast from a vendor other than DMC Houston??

You'd have to ask Ryan why he didn't write about it. I'd forgotten about it
myself, and as his friend, *I* fronted him the cash to buy them! Gasp! Guess
there's no conspiracy there.

> Did "Jake" remove this part of the story? And who is Jake Elwood??
> And what a coincidence his initials are "JE" :)

Who is Jake Elwood? That's a closely guarded secret! Don't take yourself and
everything else so seriously. A little levity, a little mystery - neither
will kill you. Maybe he'll come to Memphis this summer...people can have
"Jake Elwood" sightings to go along with "Elvis" sightings...

> We continue on to read about a nice DeLorean poster, of course you can
> purchase one of these "exclusively from DeLorean Motor Company."

We had the poster commissioned, and put our logo on it. We didn't expect the
other vendors to want to carry it, so yes, it's exclusively from DeLorean
Motor Company...until one shows up on Ebay, at least! Did you catch that
someone had put a copy of the magazine on there a few weeks ago?

> (Houston). Then another 2 page infomercial with "tech tips", with a
> highlighted box on "where to buy" the parts for the projects. Do I need
> to even mention where you should buy from?

Since you didn't mention it, let me! You can buy the door handles from
DeLorean Motor Company in Houston. What wasn't mentioned, and probably will
not be, either, is the fact that we have sold the door handles to all the
other vendors as well, except for ONE. Most of you will catch my drift and
know who that ONE vendor is. In any case, as 'deloreans' is for time being
supported by DeLorean Motor Company, it's going to favor DeLorean Motor
Company products and services.

> right ahead. My real concern is the majority of the DeLorean owners (or
> people considering DeLorean ownership) who are misinformed about who the
> players are,

(SNIP)

> Do we expect the average DeLorean owner to know that this company
> in Houston is not the same company that built our cars? I hope so.

Well, you just remarked incredulously that someone would need to know how to
install arm rest caps. Now here it sounds like you aren't giving those
people credit for ANY intelligence. Don't play both sides of the fence to
make a point.

> I have no vendetta with DMC Houston, or James. I also have nothing to
> sell myself. I point this out, because I have nothing to gain by making
> these comments.

No, you don't have anything to gain personally. But you and I don't seem to
see eye-to-eye on many things, and rather than discuss them privately (or
offer to contribute in some way) you criticize instead. One of the basic
tenets of a manager is "praise in public, criticize in private". I have been
guilty of that myself in the past. But now in particular, I see little
constructive in your criticisms after several re-readings, just slanted
criticisms...but more on that below.

> Maybe I will change my opinion when I see an article in DeLoreans
> magazine that talks about how the Zilla products improve the safety and
> reliability of the DeLorean... But who expects that to happen any time
> soon?? Maybe it will now because I said something. :)

Will you write that article? Or any article, for that matter? Maybe you will
now because *I* said something. :P But I doubt it.

> Don't try and dupe the DeLorean community in to paying a subscription
> for your propaganda, it will have a negative impact on your credibility.
> There is a obvious conflict of interest when a vendor tries to market a
> magazine to serve owners and enthusiasts. The purpose of a business it
> to make money (to serve itself, and it's investors) in a ETHICAL way.
> This has always been the root of the anti-DOA crowd, frustrated with the
> strong ties between DeLorean One and the DOA.

I think you are confused. The DOA is supposed to be a non-profit
organization, and people's problems with them lie with the archaic makeup of
the board, the by-laws and election process. The fact that they have not
published ANY financial info in as long as I can remember lends to the aura
of secrecy. Personally, I stopped bashing the DOA when I dropped my
membership a few years ago.

I don't think anyone doubts for a minute that DeLorean Motor Company is in
business to make money. Nor do I think we are 'duping' anyone, nor are we
trying to. It's very clear...everyone has seen the first issue, and will see
the second one as well at absolutely no charge. For the couple of hundred
subscribers already, their paid subscription will start with the THIRD issue
mailed in February.

> And, while I am making a fool of myself on this soap box, Give Mr. John
> Z. DeLorean his NAME and LOGO back. He is responsible for your
> livelihood, and you should not "kick him when he is down".

DeLorean Motor Company (Houston) has done more for the good name and image
of the DeLorean in the past five years than John DeLorean has been able to
do in the past twenty. Don't get me wrong, I like JZD. I think he's a great
person with the best of intentions. We took the step of securing a trademark
on the "DMC" logo (we have done nothing with the name of the car) to protect
the investment we have made in the good name of the car and company. If he
or his counsel take issue with any of that, they haven't made us aware of
it. And we are a LOT easier to locate than he is.

> Were you really "looking forward" to my comments and suggestions? :)

I've enjoyed everyone's perspectives over the last few weeks. It's about as
we expected. Those people, who for one reason or another, think we're trying
to take over the world are cutting down and belittling the work of others
while offering little or no contributions of their own. In this instance,
Marc, you are no different.

Then there are others, coming from unexpected quarters sometimes, who
understand and appreciate what we are trying to do and are more reasonable.
They seem to 'get it'.

The purpose of producing the magazine was two-fold - increase awareness of
the DeLorean marque/brand (including parts/service availability) and provide
an alternative to DeLorean World, which many people had complained about for
years. Anyone could have done it. No one did. When you step up and create
something when no one does, I hope that no one comes down on you for it.

Incidentally, while I *did* take about 2 years off from working full-time
for DeLorean Motor Company to live in Costa Rica, I am back in the office in
Houston pretty much full-time (save for a few days each month spent in Costa
Rica with my family). I invite ANYONE who feels the need to share their
thoughts to call me - for free - at 800/872-3621. I won't ask for your VIN
and won't ask you to call on your nickel just to chat.

So...Marc, Steve, Dan, Senator Pack, and the rest of the Northeastern bunch
that seem to go through this "Espey/DMC gang-bang" every time they have a
get-together...I'm not sure what I have done to piss you all off, but the
hobby is too small for us to have the bickering. I'm extending an olive
branch and invite you (and anyone who feels the same way you all seem to) to
chat with me and bury the hatchet. Now it's up to you.

Regards,

James Espey
Written partly as an employee of DeLorean Motor Company and partly as a
DeLorean enthusiast. To hell with 'politically correct', let's just work
this out and get back to talking about the cars!