Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

Re: [DML] Comments & Suggestions from Marc re: deloreans magazine

I'll be honest, I missed the original posting that was replied to
here when it first came out. But I did want to respond to a couple
of items here. I'm not jumping onto the dogpile, nor am I trying to
take sides.

<SNIP>
> > 90-second tech tip on how to replace the armrest cap?? Is
there anyone
> > out there that needs to read how to do this? More likely to
just put
> > the idea in our heads that we should consider replacing this
warn part
> > on our cars..
<SNIP>

Technicly, no, I don't need instructions. Why? Because when I
order the caps they'll probably come with them! :) I like the ads in
the magazine. They help to alert me to new products. There will
come a time when my DeLorean is finally complete. I'll have the
old parts repaired, replaced, and all I'll need to do is my regular
maintenance. I look forward to that day, and I also fear it. What
will I do then? So it's nice to know about little items that I can add
onto my wishlist to keep me occupied.

<SNIP>
> > Then we have a one page-er on how terrible the Yahoo map
service is.
<SNIP>
> > I don't see what this all has to do with DeLoreans, how is
this at all
> > related?
<SNIP>

Yeah, I was kinda scratching my head on that one too. But as an
IT person, and a driver, I can kinda relate & understand where
the article is comming from. Up untill last year, all the online
maps only shown one road to get to my house. None had the
new streets listed. Maybe this will be a permanent feature
related to automotive/technological rants. Do a write up about
how Autozone doesn't have DeLorean in the system, but
refrences listings for even more obscure cars like DeSotos. I'd
read that!

<SNIP>
> > Don't try and dupe the DeLorean community in to paying a
subscription
> > for your propaganda, it will have a negative impact on your
credibility.
> > There is a obvious conflict of interest when a vendor tries to
market a
> > magazine to serve owners and enthusiasts. The purpose of
a business it
> > to make money (to serve itself, and it's investors) in a
ETHICAL way.
> > This has always been the root of the anti-DOA crowd,
frustrated with the
> > strong ties between DeLorean One and the DOA.
<SNIP>

Ok, I have to be honest. That statement does irk me. While I
cannot speak for other DMLer's here, please don't lump me in
with a "profile" of people who refuse to join for what ever reason.
Blaming Ed Bernsiten for not having a DOA membership is like
blaming spoons for Elvis being overwieght. While there may
somehow be a relationship between the two in their actions, that
isn't the real reason. My reasons ( and possibly others) are
directly related to interactions with the DOA itself. For myself, this
has been both via contact on the internet, and from live
interactions. Some items were subjects that were not agreed
upon, up to outright rude & negative comments about me (and
even my car!) directed to both myself and others. So my reasons
are not what you assume. And I imagine that this would also be
true for a good number of other people here on the list as well.

To put it another way, Ed & D1 could drop off the face of this
planet, and I would change my mind about a membership with
the DOA. Of course I stated this once before, and was sent a
message off the list stating that the DOA wouldn't have me
anyway. But that's another story...

I'm not trying to make waves here, but I'm certainly not going to
get caught in someone elses wake. Try not to make
assumptions about cetain issues like this. It almost sounds like
a "write-off" about lack of membership. While there may be one
person on the board that many people don't agree with, there are
plenty more who are more than willing to be "right".

A couple of fellow DeLorean owners that I have met over the
course of time stated that they were in the DOA simply because
of the prestige of being in a specialty marque's club. Nothing
more. They browsed DeLorean World, and that was about it.
Only attended 1 or 2 expos, and never went back. Mosty they
collected the magazines for a collection of memorabilia if they
ever sold the car. I kinda got the felling they reguarded the
magazine about the same as they did mechanic's bills. Just kept
them for show.

Oh, and as far as credability is concerned, I've called DMC
Houston, DeLorean Services, and PJ Grady before about
shipping questions and the like. Most time I got the info I needed
right away. But never once did any of them hangup on me, or tell
me that they were "...busy with a paying customer." It's poor
customer service that will do in a bussiness, not a small
magazine with a couple of ads for the publisher inside. Plus
while I'm no MENSA member, I don't see the unethical side to
things.

Just my take on things here.If you have a different view of things,
I'm open to hear your opinion.

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"