Re: [DML] towing a delorean

Fellow DMCer's,
Having towed both ways on a trailer (car facing front and backwards), I must
say that towing it facing forward in my situation was best.. It took about 45
min. of driving and having slight fishtailing. Each time I would stop undo
tie down straps and move the car forward on the trailer. After a few tries I
found the "sweet spot" on my trailer. Later with the help of Scott M. we
marked the spot with white paint. Now it is easy to load an unload the D and
always get the correct weight distribution. The key to this is getting the
weight on the trailer's rear axle. I also recommend that you cross the tie
down straps in both the front and the rear. I use the hooks (tie down areas)
for this and have never had a problem
A side story with towing a D. In 1998 Scott M. invited a few of us D owners
down to Mobile for a show. He had arranged for a separate class for the
Delores. I towed mine down (due to family coming along). Because the show was
Oct. 31 I had the Crypt Keeper life size mannequin sitting in the drivers
seat of the D the entire trip down. As anyone who has towed a D knows, you
get a lot of cars coming up real slow beside you checking out the car. In
this case I would watch the side mirror. The person would pull up checking
out the car, see Crypt Keeper and about drive off the road. Needless to say
got a lot of "thumbs up" the entire trip. During the show I left Crypt K. in
the drivers seat so I had no problem with hop ins.
Bruce Battles
Vin# 06569