Was Re: towing a delorean Now Hop-Ins

To keep people from "hopping in" I keep Einstein on the driver's seat.
Often I have had small children come up to him thinking he was real. I
even had one grab him in a bear hug and start waking off with him! The
parents had him return it, I would not have wanted to try to take it
away from him!!!! At some car shows and cruise nights when people walk
past with their dogs the dog gets startled for a moment when it sees
Einnie, I guess they are surprised by a dog with no smell. On the
subject of foward or backward on the trailer it all comes down to
tongue weight. If you can get the car far enough foward ahead of the
trailer's wheels it can be loaded facing foward. YOU MUST HAVE THE
PROPER TONGUE WEIGHT TO SAFELY TOW A TRAILER. Crossing the straps is
also important as the car could slide sideways in the trailer. Even if
it doesn't hit the sides it could be very difficult to unload
especially if it is skewed. I don't use the parking brake and when
towing a manual trans car I leave it in neutral. You cannot count on
the brakes to keep it from moving, only the straps will hold it. Check
the anchors on the trailer, I have seen anchor rings that were only
attached to the floor, not a structural member. They should be
directly attached to a structural element of the trailer so as to
transfer loads directly to the trailer frame. Marking the "right
spot" is a great idea so as to be able to quickly load the car into
the best position. When first loading a car after driving about 25-50
miles I always stop and inspect the tie-downs and position and I find
I always can get another click or 2 on the rachets.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, abatt10347@xxxx wrote:
> Fellow DMCer's,
> Having towed both ways on a trailer (car facing front and
backwards), I must
> say that towing it facing forward in my situation was best.. It took
about 45
> min. of driving and having slight fishtailing. Each time I would
stop undo
> tie down straps and move the car forward on the trailer. After a few
tries I