Re: [DML] towing a delorean

OK, I just want to say this because I think a lot of people are taking this
too lightly. If you are going to tow your car backwards on a trailer, then
you absolutely MUST tie the louvres down. I said before that I have seen cars
without their louvres because of shipping backwards, so I looked back in the
archives and found a quote from the man who owns such a car. We went through
this very same topic towards the first of the year and Ed Garbade reported
his experience. This is his quote-

"Just make sure you get a good shipper. The shipper I used decided I didn't
need the louvers and broke the engine cover in 3 places. The louvers also
bent the roof (2 places), hood, and passenger windshield column upon exiting
the vehicle. The shipper claims it is not their responsibility since my
equipment (engine cover latch) failed.Ed10541"

This is just one example of how people have lost their louvres. I have seen
this car and the damage was exactly as described, 1 bent up T panel, dent in
hood and A pillar. All because the engine latch failed. My father, who
happened to accompany me to the show, advised Ed on his legal options, but I
would guess that not much came of any suits.

I can understand how it would help the tongue weight issue to tow the car
backwards. Just make sure those louvres are tied down. There is no need to
tempt fate. And as an aside, if you will look in the Owners Manual that came
with the car, it states- "Towing should be carried out using a FLAT BED
(their caps) towing vehicle."

John Weaver
ETDOC
RED DMC #10527