Current-rating brakelight-switch

Hello again,

It seems my troubles from last evening were really a glitch;
I can't reproduce the situation anymore... (see msg.16938)
This makes me even more curious as to what could have caused this...

I have another question now: I plan on installing a 3rd brakelight on
my car, I'm not that fond of the LED-type since they seem to break down
really easily... I found a nice flat one that could mount under the
topmost louvre-slat, but then it wouldn't be symmetrical.
Installing two -one on either side of the center-reinforcement- would
be the solution.

Now here's my problem: this type of brakelight has 7 5W bulbs in it, if
I install 2 of them that would add up to 70W of extra "draw" on the
system. I don't think this is a real problem since this isn't a
constant drain (only when you brake), but I'd really like to know if
the switch could handle this kind of current.
In the standard setup it has to cope with "only" 84W = 7A @ 12V,
installing an extra 70W of lights would allmost double this to 12,8A
@12V... Can the switch at the pedal handle this, or should I put in an
extra relay and power the extra lights straight from the battery
through a fuse and this relay?
This would amount to a lot of extra wiring... :-(

What are your opinions on this? I really want the extra brake-light,
since our cars are so low you can't realy see them through a car that's
behind you. The brakelights are even lower, so they are invisible to
any car behind the one that's on your tail!

Thanks in advance,

Jan van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...

#05141 "Dagger" since Sept. 2000