Re: Current-rating brakelight-switch

The 3rd brake light that is on my car is mounted on the top of the
highest louver. It has 4 bulbs inside, although I have no idea of what
the bulbs rating is. The unit came from an F-body car with a rear
glass hatch, a firebird if I remember correctly. The unit is slim
enough that it doesn't go above the roof line. But since it was made
to mount onto a glass surface, it comes with a rubber gasket of sorts
that will allow it to mount snugly to the louvers. The unit looks
stock, but since it is mount on top of the louver, it doesn't have
that odd looking "gap" that appears from the center support blocking
the lights. With 4 lights the unit is VERY bright. Anything over the 4
would probably be overkill...

The unit is connected into the brake light circuit by way of having
the wires run down thru the hollow area in the top of the rear quarter
panel. Then is drops down right behind the rear tail lamps and is
spliced in. It's been a year now since the installation of the 3rd
brake light, and the switch that controls everything is just fine. But
the extra lights do create a power drain when the motor is idling.
Stop and go traffic isn't too bad, but long dark hills do seem to take
their toll. Especially with the high beams on. When going down steep
twisting grades, I usually engine brake most of the way down to keep
my lights bright (granted though I have a 20 year old alternator with
upgraded 60/40 & 50 watt head lights and other accessories running at
the time). You may have different results with power drains then I do,
or even none at all. But the brake switch should be ok to handle the
extra load.

-Robert
vin 6585

p.s. I've never heard of LED lamps having a high failure rate in
automovtive applications. But for my brake lights I have been thinking
about neon...

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, Jan@xxxx wrote:
<SNIP>
>Now here's my problem: this type of brakelight has 7 5W bulbs in it,
>if
> I install 2 of them that would add up to 70W of extra "draw" on the
> system. I don't think this is a real problem since this isn't a
> constant drain (only when you brake), but I'd really like to know if
> the switch could handle this kind of current.
<SNIP>