Re: Volvo valve in air intake

The hot air hose doesn't connect INTO the engine. Mounted on the right
side exhaust maifold is what's called the heat stove. A very simple
design, it is a piece of metal wrapped around the exterior of the
exhaust manifold itself. Any air that is between the manifold and the
stove is warmed via radiant heat. This heated air is what is then
sucked into the intake solely by the vaccum created by the engine's
intake, nothing else. So to bypass the mixture valve, all you need to
do is remove the mixture valve, and disconnect the hot air hose. On my
car I have a fresh air intake hose connected between the adaptor on
the air box and the inlet duct located in the pontoon.

I beleve as stated by others that the air intake valve helps prevent
ice from forming inside of the intake manifold. Another item I think
is that it helps the engine warm up quicker to help reduce emissions.
But I'm not 100% positive on either.

-Robert
vin 6585

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "Aaron King" <floodle@xxxx> wrote:
> Could someone who has performed this modification be kind enough to
answer a
> few questions for me? I was thinking of doing this to my car and
wasn't
> sure about a couple things.
<SNIP>