Re:Was A letter of thanks and a little more Now Alt testing

Re:Was A letter of thanks and a little more Now Alt testing

What you really mean is a sure way to blow the alternater and all of
the sensitive electrical components! I know of NO procedure that
advocates disconnecting the alternater while the motor is running! Put
a voltmeter on the battery, read the voltage, start the motor and read
again after about 1 minute. It should read at least .5 volts higher. A
better test is to use an alternater tester which measures ripple so as
to determine if any diodes are shot and full load output.
Disconnecting the alternater while the motor is running will send a
surge of over 100 volts through the system. If it doesn't cause
outright damage immediatly you will see things happen later like bulbs
blowing and computers dying. (Take note if automatic!)
* HINT* A quick and dirty way to see if the alternater is charging
is to take something magnetic (like a pocket knife) and hold it close
the the bearing on the end of the rotor away from the pulley. You will
feel a strong magnetic attraction if the alternater is charging the
battery. This is not a quantitative test, just a go-no go way to see
if the alternater is working at all. You could also use a test light.
It should be a little brighter when the motor is running then when it
is off. There is no substitute for good test equipment and the
knowledge to use it.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxx, "sk1pper" <sk1pper@xxxx> wrote:
> A sure way of testing the alternator is to start the car then
remove one of the battery leads (preferbally the positive), then test
the pos and neg for 12-17vDC. This will tell you if the alternator is
producing electricity. I had to change my alternator and all was ok
partly due to the old motorolla only producing 68vDC and the old
rusted nuts causing resistance shorting out the charge. If you need to
change the alternator, I have a list of part numbers that will get you
a straight replacement from your local parts store, OR if you are like
me, more power is always the way to go. I will have a new web page up
in about 2-3 days @ www.sk1pper.com that has pic of mine and how i put
a 140a alternator on.