"New Owner Documentation"

DML,

There are many talented members of this group. I have had the
pleasure to met some of the members. Most of you have a tremendous amount of
energy and devotion to the car. Anyone who is related to the DeLorean, out of
ownership or curiosity, is very appreciative and thankful of the resources
and dedication that they have contributed.
I'm sure we can all say that we have learned a lot.

The members here are always innovative in their quest to keep DeLorean
car and DeLorean information circulating. I want to respond to your proposal
to build a "you've got a problem car, So you purchased a problematic DMC, new
comer DMC problems" web page.

When a group of us got together recently to host a local get together,
the owner of a car collection commented on how he wanted to see the DeLorean
cars but thinks that they are not much of a car. Evidently he did some
research on the Internet and found this list. He went on and on about the
problems. He laughed at us, when we said the cars were reliable and fun to
own.

Every problem, and every lambaste is in the archive.

The DeLorean is such a media magnet and probably one of the most famous
cars in the world. What if a well meaning journalist wanted to write a story
on the car and found the so called "Now you bought a DeLorean...now
what?/Problem page(s)" web site that you want?
After reading what new owners have to go through, based on the information
that you propose, it would be disadvantageous and injurious to those of us
who own a reliable DeLorean. Not every DeLorean out there is problem prone
and unreliable. As I've said before there are some cars driven everyday
without incident, and several with over 100,000 miles.

With your good intentions, in a backhanded way, by posting a web site
devoted to DeLorean problems you are putting the car down.

The old rule of media is "You can control advertising, but you can't
control public opinion."

You mention that the Bricklin site has a section devoted to bring a car
back to life after neglect. The Bricklin is another story. The only
similarity is the doors, and it was light years behind the quality control of
the DeLorean. Although no car manufactured was without fault.

Instead of a "Newcomer problem page" I propose an addition to the DMC
website. In the FAQ section, create a subsection to update the information on
production changes. These changes were made to respond to customer, parts
suppliers and engineering suggestions. These include the changes of
parts/production techniques after certain VIN numbers on the assembly line.
e.g. change of the door lock cylinders, clock, etc.
Where the superseded part has been replaced by the various suppliers,
include a message that the part has been updated by the DMC suppliers. e.g.
Window regulators, locks, Zilla parts, door handle, clutch, etc., etc.

Anyone interested in the car should be able to understand the
information.

Out of spite, I know that someone out there, after reading this message,
will produce a web site about DeLorean problems.

If you decide to proceed with your web page, I hope that you are wise
enough to include every testimonial you can gather on how reliable, etc., the
DeLorean has been. I've searched the archive for Joy, Love, and Happiness
owning a DeLorean, and the results weren't good.

Sincerely,
Mike Pack